Chapter 38

That night Betty woke up more than once. When it was 5am she gave up with sleep and decided to head onto the balcony. They had to be at the court house at 11 so she knew she needed to breath and calm down; for the baby's sake. She stood and breathed in the cold, winter New York morning. It was still dark as the sun hasn't quiet risen and she let the wind kit her skin, calming her. She was interrupted by jughead opening up the balcony door. "Baby? What are you doing? Come back to sleep" he said, rubbing sleep from his eyes. "No it's okay, I'm going to stay out here. You can go back to bed" she said with a small smile. Jughead disappeared back through the doors and when he returned he was in a hoodie and had a blanket and a sweater in his hands. He placed his sweater over Betty and guided her to sit down with him, throwing the blanket over them. "I don't want you to get sick" he said kissing her temple, Betty just snuggled further into his warmth. "You don't have to stay here, you can go back to sleep for a few hours" she said. He held her tighter to him and whispered in her ear "Betts, I'm not leaving you".

Around 9 am was when sweetpea and fangs knocked on their hotel door, everyone was now dressed. "we've ordered room service it should he here in a minute" Betty smiled. "How are you doing?" Fangs asked coming to give her a hug. "Nervous" she sighed. "We'll be right there the whole time" Sweetpea said and squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. "I'm going to face time Toni and see how everything is call me when the foods here" Betty said and went to sit on the balcony. "How is she really?" Fangs asked jughead knowing. "Not good. She hardly slept, we've been awake since 5" jughead sighed. There was a knock on the door and the room service arrived. After taking it in and setting it up Sweetpea stopped jughead before he could go and get Betty. "She'll be fine, we won't let her spiral" he said and jughead nodded. "Babe foods here" he said and he heard her say goodbye to Toni before standing up and wrapping her arms around him and kissing his chest through his shirt; jughead didn't need to say Anything and just squeezed her back before placing a kiss on her lips.

When they arrived at court they were taken into a room where they could watch the previous days of the trial before going in. It was all going well until they brought up chic and Betty paled and held jugheads hand even tighter. On the screen they watched as pictures of the burnt cooper house came up and then chic in a body bag and Betty with burns over her; and Betty self consciously pulled her top higher so nobody could see the scars. Then Betty stiffened and asked the man to stop the recording. "What is it that you see Mrs Jones?" The man asked. "That.. that woman" she pointed to a woman dressed in sweats and sunglasses sitting in the seats of the court house. "That's Abigail!" Betty said standing up, her heart beating fast and breath shallow. The next thing she knew she was falling and strong arms catching her...