Chapter 40

The trial. The darkness that had been looming over them for months was finally seeping through the cracks. Betty, jughead, sweetpea and fangs were sat in the wooden stands, watching as Alice was dramatising the ordeal she had put everyone through. Sighing, Betty straightened her skirt and squeezed jugheads hand. "And now to take the stand... Elizabeth Jones" the judge said. Betty took a Shaky breath and after a reassuring look from jughead she stood. "Mrs Jones, is it true Mrs cooper pushed you into a candle which started the fire that you and your brother chic got trapped in; resulting the death of your brother?" A lawyer asked. "Yes, that's true" Betty said, clenching her fists in her lap. "And is it true Mrs cooper along with Abigail attacked you in hospital while you were recovering from an injury Abigail gave you?". "Yes. That's correct" Betty said, trying to keep calm. The trial continued like this, Betty being asked to confirm everything that had happened, including the most recent accident where Betty thought jughead had died. To say it was overwhelming and draining for Betty was an understatement so when the judge dismissed them for a small break Betty was quick to leave and find the boys. As soon as she spotted them in the hallway she ran into Jugheads open arms. "I love you! You did so well baby" he comforted her while rubbing her back. "He's right, you made us proud" Sweetpea said and Betty gave them a small smile. "Erm Jug?" Betty whispered and jug looked down at her. "Yeah?" He said and Betty just showed him her clenched fists; he nodded in understanding. "Hey guys can you go find us some coffee and Betty some tea?" Jug said to the others, nodding over at Betty hoping they got the message; they did. "Sure!" Fangs said and they walked off.

"Show me your hands baby" jug said once they were in the bathroom. She slowly unclenched her hands, revealing the crescent marks and blood. She wouldn't look at him when she said "I'm sorry". Jughead gently placed his hand under her chin so she could look at him. "Betts, it's okay. Never apologise for this" he smiled. "But I was getting better and not doing it!" She cried. "I think you get a free pass today, it's hard what you're doing but you're so brave okay? He said and she nodded. He cleaned up her hands and gently placed bandages over, which she'd had in her purse, so that if she did it again she wouldn't hurt herself. "There we go, all done" he smiled and kissed her softly. "Thank you" she said and leant into him for a hug. "Anytime" he said and kissed her temple.

"Mr Jones, is this the woman who took you and caused an accident, the woman who's hurt your wife on more than one occasion?" The lawyer asked when jughead took the stand. "Yes and Abigail" Jug said and continuing to answer questions while Betty sat in between fangs and sweetpea. "Thank you for you time mr Jones" and jughead went to step down from the stand when they court room doors swung open and Abigail rushed in, a gun in her hand and waving it around manically until she pointed it at Betty...