twenty eight.

"I know I promised dinner but I have to do something for work really quickly."

I held in a sigh and just nodded at Tommy as he pulled away from the curb and took several turns. I should have known that it wasn't going to be this fucking simple, nothing ever was with Tommy.

Soft words and loving glances were never free. When was I going to learn?

"Work work? Or new work?" I tried asking, hoping that Tommy would take the bait and delve into information I could use instead all I got was a laugh and an eyebrow raise.

"Work work? What's that meant to mean?" Tommy asked as we headed East towards Canary Wharf and I found Harry invading my thoughts as I remember he'd mentioned Diamond Snakes having an office in the vicinity.

"You know," I played with my hands awkwardly, "Snakes or..?"

"Oh." Tommy sighed and I chewed my lip as we carried on past the business district.

"Snakes." Tommy muttered eventually and I nodded. That wasn't helpful to me.

"Is everything okay? Are you still wanting to leave?" I dared to ask, I didn't know how to get information from someone, I'd never done it or even attempted it before. I wasn't someone who people felt compelled to talk to.

"Just something with a shipment and a couple of late arrivals." Drugs. 

"Obviously, everyone in that entire organisation is insufferable." Perhaps that's you.

I hummed as I thought about my next move, the smell of salt and something distinctly like fish invaded my nostrils and I put two and two together and realised we were heading towards the docks.

"You know, you can tell me anything yeah?"

I decided to take the caring girlfriend approach, I did feel bad about all my sudden thoughts of distaste towards Tommy but Harry really was my best friend and Tommy had never been a friend to me.

"You're very chatty tonight." Tommy commented and I swallowed, I was pushing it.

"I'm sorry. I just want you to know you don't have to suffer in silence," I smiled at him even though he hadn't looked at me once since we'd left my house. 

"We're a team you know." I used his words from last night.

"You've already been more than helpful." Tommy grinned and my heart dropped.

I thought I was doing a pretty good job pretending it had never happened. There were only a handful of moments I remembered what happened and relived it whilst I was awake, nights weren't the same story but I was handling it.

"Fuck!" Tommy swore loudly, his hand landing on the steering wheel with a loud thud making me jump as I looked at him in a panic, briefly afraid that he knew what I'd been thinking. 

"What the fuck is he doing here?"

I frowned as I followed Tommy's gaze and saw a small cluster of men standing around towards the end of the dock we were currently driving towards. The black car was immediately recognisable and even if it wasn't, I would have known the tall curly headed man standing next to it in a heartbeat.

"Fuck, he ruins everything." Tommy muttered.

"Who?"

"Can't wait until he gets what he deserves. Always fucking butting into everything, it's not even his business, Styles doesn't even know what he's fucking doing." Tommy ranted ignoring me.