thirty one.

I let out a groan of frustration as I searched through the cupboard for the table centrepiece. I didn't understand why it wouldn't be in here, it got put away in the same place every year, why couldn't I find it?

I tugged at my roots as I stood frowning at the cupboard, the table wasn't complete with the holly wreath candle holder and even though it wasn't anything special it was still the centrepiece we used for Christmas dinner every year.

It wasn't Christmas dinner without it. 

"There's a lot of huffing and puffing going on for it being five fifteen."

I jumped as I spun around to find Mum standing in the dining room doorway dressed for work with an amused smile on her face. It was five fifteen? I had been awake for awhile now.

"I can't find the holly wreath." I muttered, rubbing my face and resumed my looking.

"It should be in there."

"I know that." I snapped, freezing as I heard Mum click her tongue at me and I chewed my lip before turning to face her sheepishly. "Sorry, I didn't mean to."

"Merry Christmas sweetheart." Mum waved my apology away as she held out a couple of wrapped presents towards me and I smiled before telling her I'd be right back and darting out the room to get her presents from the living room.

"Merry Christmas." I pressed a kiss to her cheek as we swapped presents before sitting at the table and I eagerly opened mine to find several new books, one of which being a complete works of F Scott Fitzgerald.

"Thank you so much!" I hugged her tightly as she laughed and rubbed my back before opening her own, some candles, a holder I saw and thought of her instantly and two new baking books. 

Where I cooked, she baked.

"Oh May thank you, love you sweetheart." Mum rubbed my back before pulling away and I settled back into the soft seat. "What are you doing up so early? When's Harry getting here?"

"Couldn't sleep, been awake for a while." I think I woke up at four. "Not sure, he said he'd let me know when he's on his way."

"Fair enough." Mum nodded and I licked my lips, I was still excited but more than anything now, I was nervous.

My bad dream was still lingering in the back of my brain as Mum said goodbye and I had my third cup of coffee for the morning. My brain always seemed to know when I had an important day coming up because it always started acting up.

I stared at myself in the mirror as the shower heated up behind me, I didn't think I looked like a ten year old boy. I'd never seen a ten year old boy this fat before.

I frowned as I ran my hand over my torso, I really needed to start working out again. Perhaps all the food I'd gotten for today was a bad idea, Harry ate a lot but I didn't think he'd eat all of it. I should join the gym, it was way too cold to go out running.

At least a gym would be warm.

The ringing doorbell made me frown as I wiped my hands in the tea towel before heading towards the front door. I really hoped it wasn't Mrs Baxter, she always dropped by at least once on Christmas Day.

"Harry?"

I licked my lips as I took in the tall man standing on my porch, a black duffle bag slung over his shoulder but what really shocked me was the pair of grey trackies slung low on his hips, a very different look from his usual all black ensemble.