thirty nine.

Running my hands down my skirt I sucked in a deep breath before nodding at myself in the mirror, this was as good as it was going to get.

Last minute plans were not my forte but I would have felt bad if Harry had missed out on the party all because I'm an antisocial baby. I doubled checked I had everything in my bag which included two packs of paracetamol before leaving my bedroom.

My hands were shaking as I slowly wandered down the stairs, I was still nervous about the whole outfit thing. Harry hadn't been any help at all and I had ended up picking out a skirt I hadn't worn before but was practically identical to the tight black one Harry had told me he'd liked.

This one just hid my hips more.

All I could do was hope that it was okay and that Harry thought I was good enough to be seen out in public with.

"Feel like I should have known. Did I thank you for last night, I can't remember if I did or not."

I stopped myself from making my presence known in the kitchen once I'd heard Mum's voice and instead I stayed hidden in the dining room. She was obviously talking to Harry but it was clear I had stumbled upon only half a conversation.

"Don't blame yourself. And you have and if you say it again it'll be the sixteenth time so don't waste your breath."

I could hear the smirk in Harry's voice and I found myself shifting awkwardly, they were talking about me.

"I want you to know I mean it. I am very thankful that you two are friends." Mum sounded like she was holding back tears and the thought of her crying made me want to cry.

Not wanting to actually cry and I carried on into the kitchen alerting Harry to my presence as he turned once he'd heard my boots on the tiles behind him, a smile lighting up his face as he looked at me and I returned a small one.

Too many facial movements still hurt.

"You look nice." Mum complimented as I watched as Harry drained his mug and glanced down at myself shrugging.

"Thank you." I smiled at her, I wasn't wearing anything fancy and I looked practically the same as usual just with heavier make up to cover my bruises again.

"Ready to go?" Harry asked and I nodded, aware that both Mum and I were watching as he put his empty mug in the dishwasher before turning back to Mum. "It was nice to see you again, in better circumstances. Have a good night at work."

"Thanks Harry. You two be safe and have fun." Mum squeezed Harry's arm and kissed my cheek before returning to her magazine. I assumed she was on the graveyard shift at midnight. New Years had plenty of burns victims.

I chewed my lip as we made the short walk down my front garden in silence to stop myself from shivering in the cold. I should have picked up a jacket but it was too late now and I was glad for the heated seats in Harry's car.

"You look really pretty."

Harry finally spoke after driving for five minutes in silence, five minutes that had included me staring out the window pretending not to be aware of him glancing at me every few seconds.

"I look exactly like I did this morning." I deflected as I felt my face heat from his compliment. I didn't think I would ever get used to receiving them, especially not from Harry.

"And you were pretty then."

Harry hummed and I turned to look at him with my bottom lip under my teeth. His hair was pushed back up off his forehead and had a red plaid shirt hanging loosely over a grey t shirt.