Ponyboy Part Two (a long one)

Ponyboy's Point of View

"Soda get this kid out of the house will ya? He's been reading shampoo bottles just to keep himself busy," Darry didn't look up from the television when he spoke. Soda stood from his chair to put his glass away, my head was buried deep in the icebox. The truth is I didn't like going out with Sodapop much anymore because usually Steve went with us and he didn't like me very much.

"What do you say, kid brother. A drag race?" Before I could even answer Darry began to make a fuss about Soda's drag racing. After a while and a bit of shouting Sodapop turned back to me, he raised an eyebrow. I shook my head no and made my way back to my room, besides I had homework to finish.

"Alright, and if Two-bit's mother calls what do I tell her?" Darry asked. Soda sprung his head into our room and grabbed his jacket,

"Tell her he's here with Ponyboy," Sodapop responded, he gave me a smile and ruffled my hair. "See ya kiddo-"

"Two-bit's going?" his face dropped for a moment, then a smug smile grew.

"Yeah, he's going what's it matter?" he shoved my shoulder back a bit. I hit his arm and got off of our bed already looking for a shirt to wear. Sodapop howled and watched as I tried my best to find a presentable shirt. "You're going to see if your baby is there, huh?" he gave me one of his smiles. I took my shirt off quickly and threw it at him, he laughed wildly.

"Shut up," I sneered.

"Hey, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I thought you already asked her out?" he asked cautiously.

"She didn't have time to answer because someone had to call us back when I did ask her, " I snapped back. He only stared at me for a moment then sighed,

"There's cologne on the top shelf," is all he said before he left,

At the Drag race,

I sat on the ground bored out of my mind, Soda and Steve were preparing each other for the race against the Shepards. Though it wasn't going to start for another 15 minutes and there was no sign of Y/n just her brother who kept eyeing me. Finally, after a while, he motioned me to stand up.

"Listen, man, usually I wouldn't do this cause I care about her too much, and I don't really like the idea of some greasy kid all over her. You ain't like that and I know it, shoot if you were you would have already been that Shepard girl's man, " He busted out laughing, but I was anxious to see what he was talking about.

"What are you getting at?" I rolled my eyes trying to ignore the smile on my face. I didn't like Angela, but it was nice to have a girl after you. With Y/n, I don't know if she wants me or not, or even if she'll give me the chance. Angela, I know everything that she wants and more.

"Curtis? Did you hear me?" I snapped back into reality. Two-bit flicked my head with two fingers, "Did you hear me man? she's at the finish line." Finish line? Of the race? That must have been a mile away.

"How long till the race starts?" I asked. I figured if I came all this way to talk to her I was going to see her and get my answer.

"About five minutes," Two mumbled. Five minutes, I could make that. Maybe just a few seconds above it but, I could make it there before the race. Besides, Soda and Steve were racing against some the Shepards, they wouldn't run me over....right? I couldn't think anymore, I was already running down the long dirt path. I figured it was the best road to take, it was already marked by past racers, so I'd be fine.

Jesus, when I told you I ran, I'm not lying. It was the kinda running I only did when we had important meets. But, I loved it. Each step I took, it was closer to talking to her, I could find her and ask her to let me take her out.