Dally

Every day after school, you would pass by the Dingo, you hated it at times.
it always was so dangerous and loud.

Though, as you hurried along to pass the dingo one day, the sound of a coin hitting the ground rang in your ears. You looked down at your feet and there lay a shiny penny, you picked it up rather quickly since you heard running footsteps approaching you.

"That's mine," the boy called out. You looked up at him and smiled. You knew who he was though you still stayed polite.

"It's just a penny," You laughed, referring to his running start. He chuckled and shrugged,

"Everyone of em' counts," You nodded and handed him the copper.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

He raised an eyebrow, glancing back at his friends who watched. His smug smile never faltered. He cleared his throat,

"Uh, okay," he seized you up. "You some soc or something?" he pondered, you looked down at your clothes. They didn't seem socy, "No, I mean not the clothes," he pulled out a cigarette, offering you one.

"I don't smoke," He chuckled then it clicked in your mind. You didn't act like a greaser; mostly, you looked the part. You only rolled your eyes and waved goodbye,

The next day you trotted by the Dingo. As you dodged flying beer cans and wrestling boys, you could hear running footsteps in the back of you. He stood next to you and matched your steps, a little out of breath he held out his hand,

"Penny for your thoughts?" He smiled. You felt a warm feeling in your stomach, and you giggled, taking the penny, you pondered what your thoughts should be.

"Um, how old are you?" You asked randomly, he chuckled and raised an eyebrow. You laughed at yourself, "Okay, what's your middle name?" His eyes lit up, and he grinned. He reminded you of a little child.

"Tucker," he responded. You thought on it for a while, as you both slowly began to walk to your house.

"Dallas Tucker Winston," you tried out the full name, it rolled off the top he nicely.

"You already know who I am?" He shrugged on his jacket a bit more. You nodded,

"Yeah, you're Tucker," you laughed. He did too. You felt the tension between you both, and you figured that maybe he just wanted one person not to see him as Dallas Winston. A hood. You were unique in his eyes though you didn't know it yet. You weren't mean to him, and besides your looks, you were kind and soft. Not what you would expect, he ate that up.

He walked you home that day and every day after that. You'd walk by the Dingo, and he'd be there with a penny in his hand. Ready to ask you for your thoughts, each penny you saved on your dresser remembering him whenever you saw it.

You didn't tell anyone about your new friend. You didn't want the drama surrounding his name to engulf you. If anyone asked if they had seen Dallas Winston walking you home, you would say "No that's just Tucker,"

Soon he started to pick you up from school. He was borrowing cars from friends so he could take you out.

Though still he'd take you to dances, hold you close and crack a smile. You were both only 16, yet it seemed like you were little kids again. Though you both never made it official. Now looking back, maybe you should have.

It was nearing Halloween, and some greasers were throwing a big party. They were Tucker's friends, and it was going to be at Bucks, Tucker invited you but didn't offer to take you or anything like that. You went with your friend who only came by to be sweet on Sodapop.