Chapter 4

It was dark now and everyone was lying down, fast asleep.
Everyone besides Merlin, who lay awake thinking over what the druid man had told him.

He glanced over at Arthur and Aria who were fast asleep side by side. Aria was on her side, curled up in her cloak for warmth. Her hair had been let down and a few strands were blowing gently in the soft wind. Violet was a few feet away from them, and she too was curled up in her blanket, peacefully sleeping.

Merlin silently sat up and glanced at all the sleeping figures before he got to his feet and started making his way up a hill calling out in the dragon tongue to Kilgharrah, the Great Dragon.
_______________________________________

Now at the top of the cliff, Merlin stood talking to Kilgharrah.

" I need to know about a druid symbol? A black spiral within it a thin yellow coil?" Merlin asked the dragon.

Kilgharrah looked down at Merlin with his golden eyes filled with wisdom.

"It is the mark of a Vates, a druid seer. Where did you encounter him?" The dragon questioned

" On my journey here, he warned me of Arthurs bane," Merlin said

Kilgharrah's eyes widened.

" His bane? " The dragon asked confused.

Merlin nodded
" And then he showed me a battle. A terrible battle. Arthur was fighting for his life. I saw him wounded, I saw him fall. I heard Aria screaming and she was crying." Merlin says remembering the horrible vision he was shown.

" The Vates' power of prophecy is unrivalled, even by a High Priestess," Kilgharrah says.

" So this battle will come to pass?" Merlin asked worriedly

Kilgharrah shakes his head
" I do not know young warlock, but one thing is certain: this was no chance meeting." The Dragon says

Merlin stayed silent for a minute before speaking again.

"You think I should heed his warning?" Merlin asked Kilgharrah

" There was a time when the words of a Vates were considered a gift." The Great Dragon answered

" Then why do they feel like a burden?" Merlin asked again

" A wise man is not cowed by knowledge, Merlin, instead he uses it to guide him," The dragon says wisely

" How?"

" That is something only you can decide. But remember the Vates singled you out for a reason. Now more than ever, it is you and you alone that can keep Arthur safe" The dragon says wisely again

Merlin looked down at his feet thinking over the dragon's words. He thought back to when the druid seer told him about the one called Nerys.

Merlin looked back up at Kilgharrah who was still staring at him with his bright golden eyes.

" I don't believe that's true anymore," Merlin told the dragon.

Kilgharrah looked confused at Merlin's words.

" And why do you say that?" Kilgarrah questioned his gold eyes narrowing slightly.

" The druid mentioned someone called Nerys, he said that this Nerys was our only chance at saving Arthur," Merlin said.

Kilgharrah didn't reply and stayed silent.

" How come you never told me?" Merlin asked in an accusing tone.

" Because you did not need to know until now" The dragon finally answered

Merlin stared at the dragon annoyed.

" I think I have a right to know who is going to help me save Arthurs life and that I don't have to do it on my own!" Merlin exclaimed at the dragon

Kilgharrah shakes his head again

" it's is still your destiny to protect Arthur, you just have a bit of help that's all. Besides, Nerys has their own destiny to fulfil" The dragon responses calmly to Merlin

Merlin was now even more confused.

" What?" He asked

" Although Nerys will help you save Arthur's life, it is their destiny to restore the light in those who have been through the dark" Kilgharrah tells Merlin

Merlin thinks back the first vision he was shown.
That's why Morgana was looking and acting like her old self. Because whoever this Nerys was, they turn Morgana good again.
Merlin smiled but then looked confused again.

" But who are they?" Merlin asked the great dragon.

" You know them well Merlin, she is a dear friend of yours," Kilgharrah said

" She!?" Merlin exclaimed confused

Kilgharrah nods his head.

" What did the druid tell you about her?" Kilgharrah asked trying to get Merlin to figure it out.

Merlin thinks back to what the druid told him about Nerys

" He said eyes blue as the sky, hair of sunshine gold, only Nerys can prevent what is foretold. But what does that mean?"

Kilgharrah sighs in frustration.

" Think Merlin, how many young women do you know who fit that description?" Kilgharrah smirks slightly as he already knew the answer that Merlin so desperately wanted.

Merlin thought long and hard. Going over the visions he saw. His eyes suddenly widen with realisation.

He looked up at the dragon who was still smirking, knowing he had figured it out.

"Aria. It's Aria, isn't it? She's Nerys" Merlin says

Kilgharrah nods his head in agreement.

" Nerys is the name given to her by the druids" Kilgharrah explained

" But how is Aria supposed to help me?" Merlin asked

" I do not know, young warlock but I have a feeling it has something to do with her mother"

Merlin stayed silent, confused and shocked at the mention of Aria's mother.

" I may not know everything, Merlin, but I do know this, the young Pendragon must never know about what is prophesized. If she does find out, the consequences could be severe. Promise me that you will never tell her about what you saw in your visions" The dragon narrowed his eyes again at Merlin.

Merlin was confused as to why it was so important that Aria never knew about foretold future but nodded anyway.

" I promise"

And with that Kilgharrah flew off into the night.

_______________________________________

The next morning everyone got up and had breakfast.

Aria pulled her hair back into the same braided ponytail that it had been in the other day before everyone got onto their horses and continued their journey.

Soon they came upon queen Annis' castle.

Queen Annis was sitting on her throne thinking about something when the doors to the throne room opened and she looked up.

" Queen Annis" Arthur greeted her as he and the others walked into the room. Aria was by Arthurs side, admiring the throne room with wonder, her red cloak trailing behind her like a river. Violet stood behind her next to Merlin.

" Arthur and Arianna Pendragon." Queen Annis greeted the two siblings whilst getting up from her throne.

" I'm most grateful that you've allowed us safe passage through your kingdom" Arthur thanks her and everyone bowed their heads in respect.

" We are allies, Arthur, and these are troubled times," Annis says and gestured to the side.

Annis walks off with Arthur and Aria by her side and everyone else follows behind them.

_______________________________________