Chapter 24

After the death of Osgar,  the entire patrol regrouped and Merlin snuck off to bury Osgar properly.

He just finishing placing stones over the grave when Mordred came up behind him. He accidentally stepped on a twig that snapped and Merlin's head shot round alarmed but relaxed when he realised it was Mordred.

" What would the king say?" Mordred asked " sorcerers are not permitted marked graves"

Mordred walked over as Merlin stood up. He was nervous that Mordred would tell Arthur about what he did.

" It's alright, Merlin" Mordred reassured him " I'd of done the same"

Merlin didn't say anything.

" He was one of us after all."

The two stared down at the grave in silence for a moment.

" It won't always be like this," Merlin said breaking the silence. " One day we'll live in freedom again."

Mordred looked at the older sorcerer " You really believe that?" He asked

" I do" Merlin replied

" Until then... We go unmarked in death as in life." Mordred said before smiling

Mordred then started to walk off back to the others. 

" Wait" Merlin called

Mordred stopped and turned to face Merlin who had turned away from the grave to look at the young knight.

" I just need to know one thing" Merlin states while Mordred looks at him confused

" And that would be?"

" Aria, do you hold feelings for her?" Merlin asked seriously.

Mordred stood there shocked for a second before he smiled.

" Yes, I do." Mordred nodded

" Why?"

"Because I could search for eternity and know I'll never find another woman like her. One that's so full of light and hope" Mordred explained with a soft smile as he thought about the blond beauty.

Merlin realised that Mordred really did like Aria. He could see it in his eyes. He loved her.

" Whatever you do, Mordred.  Don't ever hurt her" Merlin said with a dark look.

" I would never"

Mordred then walked off back to the others leaving Merlin by himself.

____________________________________

That night, the patrol had set up camp and got a fire going. Aria and Mordred were sat side by side on a log, talking and laughing quietly as Merlin treated Gwaine's wounds that he had received from when he and Elyan ended up running into Osgar.

" I've heard you have a beautiful singing voice" Mordred whispered to Aria who blushed " Will you sing for me one day?"

"I'll sing for you. If you don't tell anyone else. If it's just you hearing it and I get to see you do some magic" Aria whispered back thankful that Arthur and the others were not paying attention.

" Deal. You sing for me and I'll show you some magic" Mordred smiled

Merlin walked back over to the others and left Gwaine leaning against the base of a tree.

" How is he?" Arthur asked as Merlin reached them

" I've applied poultices. He'll make a full recovery." Merlin replied