Chapter 34

In the forest, Gwen was walking to meet up with Morgana and report what had happened.

Morgana turned around when she heard Gwen approaching.

" Guinevere" Morgana greeted

Gwen shook her head disappointed
" The plan failed, Arthur lives"

" Does he suspect you?" Morgana asked as she began walking away with Gwen following.

"Not yet, but I can tell that Arianna is suspicious of me. " Gwen informed

"Of course she is" Morgana quietly chuckled with a small smile.

"And the stable hand saw me. He was going to tell them everything"

"Was?" Morgana stopped and turned to look at Guinevere. " You have some good news then?" Morgana smiled

" I did what had to be done" Gwen replied

" With Tyr gone, you have to find someone else to take the fall"

Gwen nodded already knowing who she was going to frame.

" When Arthur dies, you have to be beyond all suspicion. You must have the support of the knights. Only with their alliance will your path to the throne be clear" Morgana explained

" But what good is all this?" Gwen shook her head. "Arthur's still alive"

" For now," Morgana smirked, " by tonight you'll have everything you need to finish the job."

" Arthur's doubled the guard. There are patrols night and day. I can't risk it" Gwen frowned.

"Gwen, Gwen." Morgana smiled It is I who shall come to you"

" And what about Arianna? Isn't she a threat?" Gwen questioned " I could easily deal with her on my own"

Morgana's smile faltered. She hadn't thought about what to do with her little sister. She didn't want Aria to get hurt but also didn't want her getting in the way of her plans.

" We'll deal with Aria once Arthur is dead," Morgana said.

"But I could--"

The two women suddenly tensed when the heard horses neighing in the distance. They saw the Camelot patrol heading towards them.

" Go" Morgana ordered Gwen.

Gwen pulled her hood up and ran off into the forest.

_________________________________

In Arthur's chambers, Gaius was examining Gwaine's arm at the table after he was attacked on his patrol unknowingly by Morgana.

Arthur, Aria, Violet, and Merlin watched.

" No broken bones, I'm glad to say," Gaius informed. 

"Anything else you remember?" Aria questioned

" Nothing" Gwaine answered " one minute I was pursuing them through the trees, the next I was flat on the ground"

"you sure it was sorcery?" Arthur asked

"without a doubt. Powerful ,too".

" Morgana?" Merlin guessed.

"it's possible but why was she there?" Violet wondered

"Maybe she was meeting someone," Aria suggested thinking about Gwen in particular.

" Why would she come so close to the citadel?" Arthur asked turning to look at his sister.