Chapter 43

Merlin and Aria were pushing the hand cart, that was carrying Gwen underneath a bed sheet, behind Gaius as they hurried down the hallway.

Gaius turned a corner, noticing two knights ahead and turned to face Merlin and Aria.

"Uh, keep up, you two. Keep up" Gaius said loudly so the knights would hear.

The two knights glanced behind them and moved to the side as Merlin and Aria came quickly down the corridor, pushing the hand cart.

"Are you alright?" Gaius asked as they turned a corner.

"She's a lot heavier than she looks," Merlin strained to say

"That might very well be grounds for treason" Gaius warned.

"I know"

"Uh oh" Aria muttered as Gwaine and Mordred came round the corner and smiled when they noticed the trio.

"Ah, Gaius, Merlin and Aria" Gwaine greeted

"And a borrow of linen, " Mordred said smiling at Aria.

"Sir Gwaine, Sir Mordred" Gaius greeted.

"Planning on changing a bed?" Gwaine joked

"Or perhaps to run up some clothes?" Mordred reached to touch the cloth hiding Gwen.

"I wouldn't touch that!" Aria exclaimed as she at Merlin quickly pulled the hand cart away.

Mordred and Gwaine looked confused and slightly shocked.

"Not unless you want to risk an attack of red thrush fever," Gaius warned glancing back at Aria and Merlin.

"I've never heard of it" Gwaine states.

"Then you're fortunate indeed. More fortunate than the young man who's just died in these very bedclothes." Gaius explained. "They have to be burnt immediately. The last thing Camelot needs is an outbreak of red thrush fever, is it not?"

"Yes, of course, sorry" Gwaine and Mordred stepped to the side and let Aria and Merlin through with the hand cart. Gaius quickly followed.

"Gaius?" Gwaine called out.

The trio stopped and turned around.

"Sire?"

"What is the name of the unfortunate young man? So that I may send something to his family?" Gwaine asked.

"Timothy" Gaius answered.

Gwaine smiled, patted Mordred on the shoulder before walking off. Mordred was about to leave as well but he caught sight of Gwen's hand falling out from beneath the blankets. Aria quickly covered it again while muttering a quiet "oops". The trio then walked off.

Mordred looked confused and followed after Gwaine.

______________________________________

In the forest, Arthur was stood waiting, now dressed in his chainmail. He turned around when he heard someone approaching and saw Gaius walking towards him but Aria and Merlin were nowhere in sight.

" Where's Aria and Merlin?" Arthur wondered.

"It's alright, Sire. They come" Gaius answered

Arthur then heard the sound of the handcart and Merlin and Aria came into view pushing the cart up the hill.

"What kept you?" Arthur asked walking towards them.

" Do you have any idea how... steep those slopes are?" Merlin quickly covered the fact that he was having trouble pushing the cart even with Aria's help.