Chapter 60

Everything was quiet.

No one talked.

No one moved.

The only sounds that could be heard were the sounds of the knight's driving away from the Saxons,  that seemed to become muffled background noise, and Morgana and Aria's mournful cries.

Merlin stared at the ground as tears fell down his cheeks and Arthur stared sadly at his little sister as he comforts Morgana.

Aria held Mordred's head in her lap, gently stroking his soft curls as she cried. Tears were streaming down her cheek and some even dripped down and landed on Mordred's face.

Then, slowly but surely, Aria's tear seemed to shrink before vanishing into Mordred's skin.

Suddenly a beautiful, golden light shone from Mordred's wound. Merlin saw it twinkling from the corner of his eye and he nudged Arthur with his elbow. Arthur looked up and saw the light and nudged Morgana to look.

Aria looked up when the light got brighter and stared at it in awe. The light continued to get brighter and brighter until the point that it was too bright to look at it and everyone had to cover their eyes and look away. The entire rocky clearing was engulfed in beautiful golden light.

Eventually, the light dimmed down and faded away into Mordred's wound. Aria looked at where Mordred's wound was and gasped when she saw that it had disappeared completely. The only evidence that there had been an injury was the torn chain mail and undershirt.

Aria peered back up at Mordred's face when his chest started to rise and fall again.

He began to stir and eventually opened his icy blue eyes. He looked around for a second before his gazed landed on Aria who was staring down at him in astonishment.

"....Ari?" Mordred whispered

Aria gasped "Mordred?"

".... You know, I'm still better at sword fighting " Mordred warily teased with a tired smirk.

Aria just let out a laugh before she tackled Mordred in a hug.

"Mordred!" Aria cried in delight, burying her face in his shoulder as tears of joy fell down her face. Mordred hugged her back just as tightly.

Pulling back, Aria smiled widely and smashed her lips onto Mordred's, both of them savouring the amazing sensation it gave them.

Pulling away, Aria held Mordred's face gently in hands and knelt her forehead on his as the others walked overall bearing wide smiles of both amazement and relief

"I thought I lost you" Aria whispered as she gently caressed Mordred's cheek.

"I'll never leave you, Aria. You can't get rid of me that easily" Mordred chuckled making Aria laugh too as tears of joy continued to fall down her cheeks.

The others walked over and Arthur helped Mordred stand before bringing the young knight into a hug.

When they pulled away, Morgana swooped in for a hug.

Merlin held out his hand to Mordred with an apologetic look, when Morgana finally pulled away "I'm sorry. For everything"

Mordred smiled at Merlin and took his hand. "It is forgotten, Merlin."

Mordred then pulled Merlin in for a brief hug surprising the sorcerer.

"How is this possible?" Arthur asked in confusion"  You were dead. We saw you die. "

Mordred just shrugged his shoulders "I don't know"

Aria looked down at her feet causing Arthur to look directly at her.