Chapter 30

" We should have made it out of the forest by now" Leon states

Arthur noticed a bit of red fabric hanging off a thorn

" Look" Arthur called out and took the red fabric off the thorn.

" What is it?" Gwaine asked. Arthur showed them the torn fabric. Gwaine then lifted his cloak to see a hole in it from where he got it caught before.

" How can that be?" Elyan inquired confused

" We've gone round in a circle" Mordred muttered in frustration.

" We have wasted, AN ENTIRE DAY!" Arthur yelled throwing his sword down in anger.

"... Let's make camp for the night." Leon suggested " Get some rest and pick up fresh in the morning"

Arthur and Mordred sunk to the ground in defeat and Elyan sat on a branch, frustrated.

"  A whole day and we've gotten nowhere" Mordred sighed

Merlin walked up to the three despairing men  " I made you a promise."

Arthur looked up at Merlin.

" Remember?. We will bring them home. Gwen and Aria "

Merlin then walked off to join the others.

_________________________

In the tower, Gwen, Morgana and Aria were sat at a long dusty dining table. The room was dark and the candlesticks on the table had thick cobwebs hanging off them as did some of the chairs

. Gwen was sat at the head of the table with Aria on her left who was fiddling with her hands in her lap

" Eat, here," Morgana said placing some food in front of Aria before sitting down on the right of Gwen and opposite Aria. " Food always makes me feel better"

Neither Gwen nor Aria touched their food.

" Would you prefer some chicken?" Morgana asked kindly

Gwen remained silent but Aria just shook her head.

" You both must eat. You're fading away" Morgana encouraged

" I don't know what cruel trick your playing, but we will not be broken by you" Gwen glared 

" I thought this would be nice" Morgana smiled " I know how lonely you both must be. All by yourselves in those rooms."

" Then why are we separated?" Aria asked quietly.

" I didn't want to listen to you both crying to each other. "Morgana replied "At least your not shackled. And there's daylight. You can move. You can see."

" You expect us to be grateful?" Gwen scoffed

" I too have suffered, Gwen" Morgana admits " I spent two years living in darkness. Spent two years chained to a wall at the bottom of a pit."

Aria looked at her sister with sympathy and shock. She had no idea what her sister had gone through.

" You did not know" Morgana realised

Aria and Gwen shake their heads. Aria had tears in her eyes when she thought of the cruelty her sister had faced.

" I would have sold my soul for someone to show me kindness such as this" Morgana told them " If you want me to take you both back up there"

Morgana began eating while Gwen and Aria remained silent.

_________________________

That night, Merlin was awoken by a sound of something scuttling along the leafy ground. Merlin got up and followed the sound of rustling leaves into the trees.