Chapter 57

"Thanks for everything that you did for Eira," Gwaine said to Merlin as they walked through the valley of the fallen kings.

"There's no need to thank me, it was the least I could do" Merlin replied " you seem to care for her"

"I could hardly leave her to the Saxons now, could I?" Gwaine joked.

"That was your only reason for rescuing her?" Merlin smirked at his friend

"Of course."

Suddenly out of nowhere, a couple of bandits attacked the duo. Gwaine fought hard to protect himself and Merlin. One of the bandits advanced on Merlin who backed away and fell over a tree root.

" Gwaine!" Merlin yelled. And for the first time in his life,  Merlin felt completely useless. He felt useless without his powers to help him. At that very moment, he felt scared for his life.

Gwaine rushed over and took care of the bandit before turning his sword and killing the bandit behind him.

Merlin just lay there on the ground gasping.

"You ok?" Gwaine asked approaching his friend and held out his hand to help him up.

"Yeah. I think so. Thank you." Merlin said as he stood up.

"No need to thank me, Merlin." Gwaine smiled " It was the least I could do"

________________________________________

Aria was riding hard and fast through the trees. Not stopping once. She had to get home. She just had to. She had the hood of her red cloak pulled over her head to protect her identity from any bandits that spotted her.

Aria slowed down her horse and took a look at her surroundings. She was in the valley of the fallen kings. She smiled to herself, thankful to be in a place she recognised.

She continued riding, careful not to run I to any bandits until she came across a cave. Aria stared at the cave curiously. For some strange reason, Aria felt drawn to the cave, as if some invisible force was pulling her towards it.

She dismounted her horse and slowly approached the cave. She stood in the entrance and peered inside. She gasped in awe at what she saw. Inside the cave, along the walls, ceilings and floors lay hundreds and hundreds of stunning crystals of all sizes.

Aria was so infatuated with the beautiful and mysterious sight that she didn't notice a strange man suddenly appear behind her out of nowhere. 

The man was old, with light grey almost white hair and wrinkles covering his kind face. He was wearing black clothes with a  brown robe and they looked dirty and old.

"Can I help you with something, young lady?" The man asked making Aria jump and whirl around to face the old, strange man.

"Oh, no. Sorry, I was just curious." Aria smiled sheepishly at the man. " What is this place? It's beautiful"

"It is the Crystal cave. The birthplace of magic itself" The man answered

"The Crystal Cave..." Aria gasped in shock and wonder. Merlin had told her stories about the cave and what was held within. He even told her of the man that protected the cave and who had once helped him save Arthur's life.

Aria looked at the man again with curious eyes. "Who are you?"

"My name is Taliesin" The man replied, " And you my dear are Nerys"

"How do you know my name?" Aria demanded, getting suspicious of the man.

" Our meeting has been prophesied for many years. Long before you were even born. For I was the one granted with the privilege of unlocking your true talent"