Chapter 38

Music for later.

" We're here. She's just the other side of those trees" Daegal tells Merlin as they finally reached the spot in the forest where Daegal's sister was.

Merlin looked over his shoulder as Daegal" What's wrong?"

"Nothing" Daegal replied " I just hope she's still alive"

Merlin gave Daegal a reassuring pat on the back before he entered the clearing, only to find no one there.

Merlin dropped his bag to the floor and turned to face Daegal. "There's no one here" Merlin pointed out gesturing to his surroundings.

Daegal didn't say anything.

" Why have you brought me here? What is this?"

"I can explain..." Daegal tried to say.

Merlin walked over and grabbed Daegal's arm. " You're not a druid" Merlin hissed as he lifted Daegal's sleeve to see the druid mark had slightly rubbed off his arm. Merlin dropped Daegal's arm and glared at him.

"Who are you?" Merlin demanded.

Daegal looked over Merlin's shoulder to see Morgana standing a few feet away from them waiting. Her stone cold eyes fixed on the two. Merlin kept his eyes on Daegal waiting for an answer but Morgana then used her magic to send Merlin flying backwards, knocking him out.

"You've done well," Morgana said as she approached Daegal. " I knew it wouldn't be difficult. Merlin has a weakness for outcasts. Especially Druids."

Morgana tossed a small bag filled with gold coins at Daegal who easily caught it.

"Why are you doing this?" Daegal nervously asked the high priestess.

" Because Merlin has meddled in my plans once too often" Morgana answered walking towards the unconscious Merlin and kneeled down beside his head.

" the agony you feel?" Morgana takes out a vial of black, sap-like poison. "You'll be glad when death comes"

Morgana poured the poison into Merlin's mouth before standing up and kicking him down a slope and into a ditch.

Daegal comes to stand beside Morgana and peers down at Merlin.

" Are you really going to kill the king?" Daegal hesitantly asked

"Hold your tongue!" Morgana snapped " Not a word of this to anyone. Your forgetting I still have a few drops left. "

Morgana then turned and walked away leaving Daegal with a poisoned and unconscious Merlin.

________________________________

Back in Camelot that night, in the banquet hall the sound of chatting and laughter filled the room.

Arthur sat at the main table with Gwen and Aria on his one side both in their beautiful red dresses and the Sarrum of his other.
Aria was glad she was sat on the end as she wanted to stay as far away from the Sarrum as she possibly could, even if it meant being sat beside the person who had stabbed her in attempt to end her life. She was fiddling with her bracelet as it kept sliding off her wrist.

Violet was walking around the hall with a jug filled with wine, re-filling empty goblets. She would occasionally make eye contact with Leon as he sat and laughed with the other knights and the two would share a secret smile at one another.

" I feel like we have much in common." Arthur turns to talk to the Sarrum. "We share many allies and friends. Also an enemy"

" Sorcery" The Sarrum replied. Arthur just nodded.