Chapter 10

Aria, Arthur and Merlin were cleverly hidden in a cart that had been taken into the mines and once no Saxons or slaves were around they quickly got out and hid.

They observed all the guards watch the slaves working.

" This place is crawling with Saxons," Merlin says

"Really, I didn't notice," Aria says sarcastically
Merlin playfully glared at her. Aria just smiled sweetly at him.

" Then we'd better make sure we blend in" Arthur started moving further into the tunnels.

" Arthur!" Merlin whispers as he and Aria run after him.
____________________________________

After Arthur knocked out two Saxons and stole their armour for himself and Merlin, the trio went in search of the knights.

Aria's eyes scanned all the slaves working, hoping to see a familiar face somewhere amongst them.

Her eyes widen and she starts pulling on Arthur's arm gaining his attention.

"Arthur, there's Percival," She said pointing to him as he lifted a heavy stone into a minecart.

They made their way over to him and Arthur put a hand on Percival's arm but the knight snatched it away. Percival finally turned around and expecting to see a Saxon but was shocked to see Aria, Arthur and Merlin.

" Arthur!" Percival says in surprise.

" You didn't think we just leave you here, did you?"  Arthur responds.

A smile of relief makes its way onto Percival's face.

" Where are the others?" Aria asked

" They're uh..." Percival looked back at all the men working

" Scattered around "

" Gwaine?" Arthur questioned

" Saw him a couple of days ago, but..." Percival shakes his head

Arthur walked forward and placed his sword in the cart Percival was pushing.

" See if you can use it to find some more."

" Arthur" Merlin warned as he saw a couple of Saxons heading towards them.

" Do what you can to free the others. We'll find Gwaine." Arthur whispered to Percival.

The trio then walked off in search of their other friend.

____________________________________

While Arthur, Merlin and Aria were walking through the tunnels in search of Gwaine, somewhere in the fortress Morgana and Mordred were sitting at a table, eating.

Mordred was eating some chicken when Morgana spoke.

" I feared you were dead. It's dangerous for those of us with magic."

"It's not been easy," Mordred said

" For any of us," Morgana said as she picked up a red apple and knife. She began cutting the apple and eating the slices off the blade of the knife.

" Sorcery frightened's people, even some of those who claim to support it," Mordred told her

" You see a lot" Morgana smiled

" I have learned to, I have had to. If I was not to be burned at the stake or exploited for another man's gain" Mordred muttered

" Attitudes will change soon" Morgana smiled at Mordred

" The old religion will reign once more" Mordred smiled at Morgana's words and lent back in his chair.

" There'll be nothing to fear once Arthur and his kind are cleansed from the earth." Morgan began angrily digging the knife into the apple at the mention of Arthur.

Mordred's smile disappeared and he looked down.

" You know, we had Arthur in our grasp"

Morgana looks up from her apple at Mordred with a hard expression.

Mordred also looked up at Morgana, meeting her eyes.

" He escaped"

Morgana placed the knife she was using on the table, trying not to lose her temper.

" You let him go?" She asked

" He got away"

" How? Who let him go?" Morgana demanded, furious.

" It was an accident," Mordred told her calmly

" Kill him! That's all they had to do!"
Morgana suddenly jumped out of her seat and threw her apple across the room in pure anger.

Mordred was unfazed by Morgana's yelling and just sat there silently.

" I'm a high priestess. I have the power of the heavens in my hand... " Morgana shouted

" Morgana"

"...and yet he continues to defy me! " Morgana exclaimed

" Calm yourself" Mordred quietly said, rising from his seat slightly.

" I want his annihilation, Mordred. I want to put his head on a spike and I want to watch as the crows' feast on his eyes!" Morgana said with a sinister and dangerous look in her eyes.

Morgana finally sat back down in her seat and reached for her cup filled with wine. Mordred, seeing that Morgana had finally calmed down a little, sat down in his seat.

It was silent for a moment before Mordred spoke up again.

" We had Arianna as well, not just Arthur"

Morgana froze and gently placed her cup down. She placed her hands in her lap with a concerned look.

" And was she harmed?" Morgana asked before she could stop herself.

Mordred remembered Aria's wrists and how red and sore they looked from the tight rope.

" Only slight"

Morgana's face hardened and she balled her hands into fists under the table  trying to control her fury

Morgana noticed the look Mordred was giving her and quickly acted like she didn't care.

" Not that it matters, she is nothing but a naive child, with her head in the clouds and who doesn't know when not to stick her nose into things." Morgana sneered.

Mordred saw right through Morgana's disguise.

" But you still care for her, don't you?" Mordred questioned her

"No!"Morgana quickly denied it while shaking her head slightly but Mordred wasn't convinced.

"Admit it to yourself, Morgana. You miss her, you miss your little sister. Stop denying the fact that you still care and love her..."

" ENOUGH!"

Mordred was suddenly cut off by Morgana screaming at him.  She had risen from her seat once more and had tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

" It matters not what I feel! It doesn't matter that she's my sister and that I still love and care about her because she hates me and she'll never forgive me or accept me for who I am, that I'm sure of! It's better to hated for who I am then be loved pretending to be someone I'm not!"

As Morgana finished her rant a few salty tears escaped from her eyes and rolled down her cheek but she briskly wiped them away.

Mordred was about to speak again when the sound of the warning bells could be heard from outside.

Forgetting about her recent outburst, Morgana smiled evilly looking out the window.

" Arthur " She whispered turning to look at Mordred with a wicked smirk.