Chapter 47

Night at fallen and the entire patrol were now fast asleep. Aria was cuddled into Mordred's chest with his arms securely around her as they slept soundly by the base of a tree. Violet was asleep next to Leon facing him with their hands intertwined.

The only person who as awake was Merlin. He glanced at all the snoozing figures and quietly got to his feet. Merlin began to walk off and find Finna but froze when one of the knights moved in their sleep. Merlin then set off again when he was sure that no was awake. Or so he thought.

"Good morning"

Merlin whirled around and saw both Aria and Mordred were awake and were getting up to stand by the tree they were just sleeping by.

"Though technically I think it's still night" Aria pointed out.

"I was just going for a - -"

"Relieving yourself"

"Yeah"

"You always put your boots on to do that do you?" Mordred questioned

"I don't like splitters" Merlin replied.

"You weren't collecting herbs either, were you?" Aria asked.

Merlin went to make an excuse but Aria cut him off.

"You don't have to explain yourself to us, Merlin. If you're willing to risk your life, it must be important."

"It is" Merlin looked at Aria strangely. Usually, she's curious and wants to know what he was up to.

"A problem shared. I understand" Mordred glanced back at the others who were still sleeping, oblivious to what as going on. "We'll tell them we escorted you back to the bridge"

"Thank you" Merlin smiled and began to walk off again.

"Merlin?"

Merlin turned around to face the young couple again.

"Be careful," Aria said

Merlin smiled and nodded before running off into the dark woods.

Aria and Mordred watched him go before Mordred looked at Aria.

"Are you going after him?" Mordred asked even though he already knew the answer.

Aria just smirked mischievously at her lover causing Mordred to chuckle.

"Be careful. Come back to me in one piece" Mordred kissed Aria's forehead

Aria just nodded before she quickly grabbed her weapons and ran after Merlin.

______________________________________
The sun had now risen as Merlin sprinted through the forest, checking the tree trunks for the burnt symbols Finna left on them.

Unknown to him, but he wasn't the only one out looking for Finna. Morgana had been searching for her ever since she found a letter to Alator from her in Alator's cell.

Morgana dismounted her horse and approached one of her men.

"We've lost the trail" He informed her. "She could've gone anywhere."

Morgana didn't say anything, she was getting frustrated.

"Fan out" The man ordered Morgana's other men.

"Wait!" Morgana exclaimed looking around.

She turned and smirked when she saw one of Finna's symbols on a tree trunk. She walked up to it and incanted a spell making her eyes glow gold for a second. She looked out into the forest and saw another of Finna's symbols. She turned back to her men smirking maliciously.