Chapter 29

The next morning everyone was getting ready to leave and continue their search for Aria and Gwen.

" I've decided to journey to the dark tower. It's my belief that Aria and Guinevere are imprisoned there. I don't know what horrors will be waiting, so I'll travel alone" Arthur announced to the group.

" No!" Elyan and Mordred both say in unison.

" I'm sorry. I've made my decision"

"There is no way you're going without me," Mordred says as he walked over to Arthur

" You can't stop me either, Arthur." Elyan stands " Gwen's my sister. "

Arthur nodded.

" Nor me, Arthur," Percival speaks up
" Gwen's our Queen, Aria our princess and fellow knight"

" And they're both our friends" Leon added standing up as well.

"They're maiden's in a town. Damsels in distress. I was born for this moment" Gwaine stands up

Arthur looked at Merlin" you can turn back Merlin"

" I made you a promise, remember?" Merlin replied smiling.

Arthur sheathed his sword and they all set off to the dark tower.

___________________________

The group were now on top of a hill looking over a dense forest. Past that forest was the dark tower.

" The dark tower" Arthur announced

" How do we get to it?" Merlin asked.

" Through the impenetrable forest" Mordred answered.

" But its-"

" Impenetrable" Gwaine cuts Merlin off.

" Exactly. We can't possibly get through there"

" We must" Arthur insisted

____________________________

The group left the horses and entered the overgrown forest, hacking at the thick vines blocking their path.

Gwaine's cloak got caught on a branch and ripped. He began furiously attacking the vines causing the others to stop and stare at him.

" Keep going," He said.

The group carried on.

___________________________

In the tower, Aria was sitting on the floor with her head down and her back up against one of the pillars in her dimly lit room.

She looks up when she hears echoing footsteps approaching. She gets up quickly but then looks around frightened when the footsteps suddenly stop.

She walked to the centre of the room and looked around. She turned around and let out a gasp of fright.

Arthur was standing there smiling at her. But he looked extremely pale.
Aria smiled back relieved, thinking she was finally getting out of there.

Aria went to hug her brother but stops when he started to laugh at her maniacally.

Aria backs away and looked around the room in terror. Arthur had disappeared but his maniacal laughter continued to echo throughout the room.

" Arthur?" Aria quietly whimpered as she went back to her original spot on the floor.

____________________________

Back in the forest, Percival tries to cut another branch in his way when his sword breaks.

" Blunt anyway" He throws the sword away into the wet muddy ground and Merlin handed him another sword.

" Don't stop." Arthur turned his head to look at them from the front.

" We've lost the path" Percival called back.

" Then we'll keep heading north," Arthur tells him.

" How do we know which way is north?" Gwaine asked

" The Ivy" Arthur replied" pale leaves face south. Dark leaves face north"

Gwaine picked up a bunch of Ivy and examined it before the group carried on.

A little while later and the group came across a clearing where they could see the sky and the dark tower.

" We're on the right course" Leon states relieved

" We should reach the tower by sundown" Mordred informed staring at the tower.

" We need to pick up the pace" Arthur called out and set off again, the others quickly following.

___________________________

Aria is still sitting on the floor with her back against a pillar. She was playing with her hair out of boredom and nerves.

" Aria..."

Aria suddenly gasped and saw a ghostly white figure of Merlin peaking out behind another pillar in front of her. Merlin gestured for Aria to follow him with his hand.

" Merlin?" Aria whispered

The ghostly figure of Merlin disappeared behind the pillar.

Aria shook her head and shut her eyes tightly. She knew it wasn't real and it was just the effects of the mandrake roots.

Aria looked around the room again, frightened.

Aria turned to look behind the pillar she was leaning against and screamed as the ghostly figure of Merlin suddenly jumped out and growled loudly at her.

Terrified, Aria scrambled to her feet and ran to the door as it opened.

Morgana was taken back in surprise when Aria launched herself into her arms, whimpering. Morgana hesitantly hugged the girl and shushed her quietly.

This reminded Morgana of when Aria was little and she smiled softly at the memories.

Morgana then pulled away and smiled reassuringly at her sister.

" My offer for a better room still stands"

Aria shook her head stubbornly making Morgana sigh in frustration.

" Come now, you look starved" Morgana walked down the stone steps with Aria quickly following.

They came to Gwen's room and Morgana opened the door. Gwen was kneeling on the floor looking terrified.

" Come, let us have something to eat," Morgana told her and walked out of her room.

Gwen quickly followed and let out a sigh of relief when she saw Aria. She practically ran to the girl and hugged her tightly.

" Aria!" Gwen exclaimed as she hugged the girl." Are you alright?"

" Me? What about you?" Aria asked

" Come!" Morgana snapped glaring at the two from lower on the staircase.

The two frightened women clung to each other as they followed Morgana down the stairs.

___________________________