Chapter 17

The next morning, Aria woke up to the faint sounds of the castle around her. She felt the soft sheets of her bed underneath her fingertips. She opened her eyes only to be blinded by the warm early morning sunlight streaming in through her window. Rubbing her eyes sleepily, Aria sat up in her bed but was immediately pushed back down by a flying ball of fur crashing into her.

"Ruby!" Aria giggled as the happy dog licked at her face.

Ruby finally stopped and sat back on Aria's bed wagging her tail. Aria sat up again, smiling,  as the doors to her chamber opened. Violet walked in looking upset but once she saw Aria sitting up in bed her face imminently brightened and she ran towards her friend.

" Aria, thank goodness your alright!" Violet said hugging the princess tightly.

When they pulled away Aria noticed a sad look in Violets eyes.

" What's the matter?"

" If only I'd been here and hadn't left you all alone maybe this wouldn't have happened" Violet covered her face, disappointed with herself.

" Violet, if you had stayed, then what happened to me could have happened to you also. It wasn't your fault, Vi, you had no idea that that would happen" Aria placed a comforting hand on Violet's shoulder

Violet uncovered her face and smiled gratefully at Aria.

" Those were the exact same words that Leon told me last night after I found out you were attacked."

Aria's eyes suddenly light up with excitement and playfulness but also a hint of mischief. Violet saw the change in Aria's eyes and imminently shot her down, blushing.

" It wasn't like that. He just comforted me after it was announced you'd been attacked. Nothing else happened."

"You sure?..."

" Yes. I'm pretty sure. Now if you'll excuse me, my lady, I must go inform the king that you are awake" Violet said standing from the bed and making her way briskly out the door. Aria just lay laughing hysterically at her friend's flushed face.

A few minutes later, a knock came from the door.

" Come in!" Aria called from her bed

Arthur, Gaius and Merlin walked in and smiled happily when they saw Aria was awake. Gaius was holding three disgusting looking potions in his hands.

" Aria, thank God, how are you feeling?" Arthur asked hugging his sister tightly.

" I'm alright. How long was I out for?" Aria asked pulling away from the hug.

" You've been out all night and this morning. But that's thanks to the sleeping draft I gave you." Gaius answered.

Aria smiled thankfully at Gaius.

" Once your up and dressed, we need to talk," Arthur informed his sister who looked at him confused as to why.

" It's about father" Arthur answered gravely

Aria just nodded and looked down at her bed sheets, not saying anything.

____________________________________

After Aria got up, had some food and got dressed and placed her hair in a single braid over her shoulder.