Chapter 42

"Why did I promise to help Gwen? I have no idea what to do" Merlin muttered as he and Gaius were searching through book after book in Gaius' chambers, trying to find a way to break the enchantment Morgana had put on Gwen.

Merlin was sat at the top of the stairs while Gaius sat at the table below.

"Is there really no remedy?" Merlin asked

"If Gwen has suffered what I suspect, then no, I fear not" Gaius answered

"You know what happened to her?" Merlin wondered

Gaius was about to answer when Aria came rushing through the doors with an old, small, duty leather book in her hand. She was wearing her simple blue dress and her hair was put on a messy braid.

"Shouldn't you be resting, young lady?" Gaius gave Aria a scolding look

"Sorry Gaius, but you need to see this. I think I know what happened to Gwen" Aria said placing the book on the table in front of Gaius and opening it to a certain page.

Gaius put on his reading glasses and looked down at the page. He then looked up at Aria with wide eyes.

"Where on earth did you find this?" Gaius demanded

"It was hidden away in the library, behind a bunch of dusty old books that no one seems to have touched for years" Aria explained

"Interesting" Gaius muttered looking down at the book.

"What? What is it?" Merlin asked from on top of the staircase.

" This book talks about something I heard about when I was only young. An ancient ritual of the old religion called the Tiana Diaga," Gaius told him taking off his reading glasses.

"Tina Diaga?" Merlin said standing from his seat and coming down the stairs. He sat on a bench listening to Gaius and Aria sat next to him.

"The sacred fire. The ritual used the mandrake root to bring unimaginable terror to the victim. Their screams could be heard 20 leagues away" Gaius explained "when it was finally over, their will was no longer their own. They were slaves of the High Priestesses for eternity"