Chapter 44

The next morning the trio, now with Mordred, set off again with Arthur in the front carrying Gwen while Merlin, Aria and Mordred walked behind him carrying the supplies.
Like Merlin had said the previous night, Aria's head injury had healed overnight and all that was left was a faint scar.

"What's the meaning of these banners?" Mordred wondered.

"Marks the way for pilgrims" Merlin answered, "this is a sacred site for those who follow the old religion."

Arthur looked confused " How do you know such things?"

Merlin shared a look with Mordred and Aria "Gaius told me"

As the group walked through the gorge they failed to notice a dark figure watching them from on top of the cliffs.

Morgana glared at the Arthur and Merlin but her gaze immediately softened when she lay eyes on Mordred and even more on her sister.

Aria felt Morgana's gaze on her and stopped to look up at the cliffs with a confused look. The others noticed she had stopped and stopped as well.

"Ari, what's  wrong?" Mordred asked

Aria turned to look at them and smiled softly, shaking her head. "It's nothing, I'm alright"

"How much further?" Arthur asked Merlin.

"Not far. This gorge leads to the cauldron" Merlin replied.

Suddenly the group heard screeching and looked up to see Morgana's white dragon,  Aithusa, flying above them. Aithusa swooped down and breathed hot fire at the group causing them to quickly duck out of the way.

"Here!" Arthur yelled taking cover in between some rocks.

Mordred grabbed Aria's hand tightly and they quickly followed after Arthur. Merlin stayed where he was and glanced around the gorge. He knew dragon belonged to Morgana and was trying to figure out where she was hiding.

When he couldn't find her and Aithusa was coming around for another attack, Merlin ran and took cover with the others.

"Morgana must be close" Arthur murmured holding Gwen as close as he could.

Mordred saw Aria smile slightly, at the mention of her sister, from the corner of his eye but she quickly hid it.

"You go, I'll distract it," Merlin said going to run out.

"No"

"You must."

"You're the only one who knows where the sorcerer is" Arthur argued

"Arthur!"

Aithusa flew past them again, screeching.

"Get Gwen and Aria to safety, Sire." Mordred cuts in  "We'll cover you and join you beyond the gorge"

"Wait-"

"Aria, please. Go with Arthur. At least I'll know your safe" Mordred begged her

Aria sighed and nodded her head. She gave Mordred a quick passionate kiss before she and Arthur left with Gwen.

"Stay here. I'll divert the creature" Merlin ordered Mordred.

Merlin went to leave but Mordred grabbed hold of his arm pulling him back. "Merlin you can't"

"I know what I'm doing, Mordred" Merlin ran off into the open and saw Aithusa flying high, turning around and heading straight for him.

Merlin began to walk towards the dragon with a determined look on his face as he started speaking in the dragon tongue, ordering Aithusa away with his Dragonlord powers.