Chapter 21

" Merlin!?"

Morgana's head shot up at the sound of her sister's voice.

" Here!" Morgana yelled back " He's here!"

Back in the ruins, Percival carried and unconscious Merlin over his shoulder with Gaius, Aria and the rest of the knights following.

Once in the main part of the ruin, Arthur caught sight of his hurt friend.

" What happened?" Arthur demanded as Percival laid Merlin on the ground.

" Hilda found him" Aria answered her brother looking down at her friend, concerned.

" He was down by the river, he must have fallen," Hilda said. Mithian was a few feet behind her giving her a suspicious look. She knew that Morgana had done something to Merlin.

" Gaius, how is he?" Aria asked the old man who as examining Merlin.

" He's taken a heavy blow to the head," Gaius answered

" But he'll be alright?" Arthur asked just as concerned as his sister was.

" He should be fine, sire, but there's no telling when he'll regain consciousness."

Arthur looked conflicted and glanced at his knights who were all staring at him wondering what he'd do.

" We can't wait for him. Not if we're to stand a chance of reaching Rodor before Odin's men" Arthur finally said

Aria stood up and stared at her brother, shocked

" What? Arthur, we can't just leave him here"

" And we're not," Arthur said placing a comforting hand on Aria's arm before looking at Gwaine " Gwaine, you stay here with Merlin, Gaius and Aria. The rest of us make for Nemeth."

Once again Aria was unhappy and went to object "Arthur..."

" No, Aria. You're staying here with Gaius, Merlin and Gwaine." Arthur told his sister firmly and went to turn away.

" But..."

" I said no. You're staying here and that's final."

Aria sighed in defeat "Yes, sire"

Arthur, Mithian, Hilda and the rest of the knights started to leave and make their way to Nemeth. Aria sat by Merlin's side with a disappointed scowl on her face. Just before joining the others Morgana placed a comforting hand on Aria's shoulder causing her to look at her disguised sister.

" Don't take it personally, Aria. He's just trying to keep you safe, that's all. " Hilda smiled  then walked off to join the others.
____________________________________

Gaius, Gwaine and Aria were all crowded around Merlin waiting for him to wake up. Gwaine was passing back and forth not paying attention to anything while Gaius and Aria side by side by Merlin sleeping figure. Aria held her unconscious friend's hand comfortingly.

" He should have come around by now," Gwaine said

" It's unusual, certainly," Gaius muttered

" Just a blow to the head, you say?"

" There's nothing to suggest anything more.  On the outside at least" Gaius answered worried.

Gaius reached forwards and grabbed Merlin's hand from Aria and noticed he was getting cold.

" He's getting cold, you better get some more firewood" Gaius ordered Gwaine as let go of Merlin's hand.

" I'll be right back" Gwaine hurried out of the ruins to find some firewood.