Chapter 7

Night had fallen and the trio was cramped under a small overhang to sleep. The wind was, noisy, strong and cold.

Aria was squished in between Merlin and Arthur as they insisted that she be kept warm. Her hair was once again out of its braid and was covering part of her face. She was shivering quite a bit, due to the cold and wished she still had her cosy red cloak with her but she had sadly left it behind when she, Merlin and Arthur escaped from Morgana and the Saxons.

Thinking Aria had fallen asleep Merlin starts talking to Arthur.

"Arthur?"

"Hmm" Arthur responded

"I need to tell you something. The man, the old man in the village..." Merlin started

" Just think about something else, Merlin" Arthur murmured trying to fall asleep.

" No, I need you to listen to me " Merlin insisted

" before he died, he tried to warn me; he told me that you were in danger and that the danger was close"

" He was dying, Merlin. It is what he would say" Arthur told him

" I think he was a druid seer," Merlin said

" You expect me to listen to a sorcerer?" Arthur asked

" Why would he tell me that? He had no knowledge that I even knew you." Merlin moved slightly to look at Arthur.

" We have to turn back" Merlin whispered

" I can't, even if what he said were true, it makes no difference" Merlin sat up fully to look at Arthur. Aria suddenly feeling the cold wind, curled up into a ball against Arthur's side to try and keep warm.

" Arthur, without you Camelot is nothing, all that we worked so hard to create, everything we've begun.." Arthur suddenly sat up to face Merlin.

Aria let out a little whine when he moved and curled into a tighter ball.

" Look no matter what adversity we face, we stand for what is right. To betray our beliefs, Merlin, that is what will destroy everything we've strived for."

" I swear I'm going to rescue my men or die trying, " Arthur said stubbornly

" and I swear I will protect you or die at your side and I'm sure, if Aria were awake right now, she'd say the same thing"
Arthur nodded gazing down lovingly at his little sister.
Aria, from where she was curled up, smiled at Merlin's words. She had been awake all this time and had listened to the whole conversation. Arthur saw her smiling and chuckled slightly knowing she was awake.

Arthur then smiled at Merlin before giving his servant a friendly bump on the shoulder and then laid back down and fell asleep with Aria once again curling up to his side desperate for warmth. Merlin followed shortly after but he didn't go to sleep, he just lay awake, thinking.

____________________________________

The next morning, Aria woke up to the sound of hooves. She sits up slightly and shook Arthur to wake him up.

" What?"Arthur groaned opening his eyes
Aria quickly shushed him and pointed up towards where she heard the horses.

Merlin wakes up as well but before he could say anything Arthur reaches over Aria and put his hand over Merlin's mouth to keep him from talking.

" Don't just stand there, find them!" They heard Morgana order her men.
Aria froze at the sound of her sister's voice

Her once warm and loving tone was now one filled with bitterness and hatred.