Chapter 56

"I hoped to never hear that name again," Merlin muttered as he and Gaius stood talking in Gaius' chambers.

"He cannot go, Merlin. You will have to persuade him." Gaius explained

"I know Arthur better than I know myself " Merlin smiled slightly,  turning around to face Gaius. "He'll not listen. "

" If Arthur goes to Camlann, now that Aria is no longer with us, the prophecy will come true and he will die," Gaius warned

"This battle is the only way he knows how to save his people. If he's going to lose his life, he'll still go"

"...Then what are we to do?" Gaius questioned

Merlin sighed and walked up to Gaius " If I can't prevent him from going, then I must protect him as best I can."

"But you can't protect him without your magic" Gaius pointed out.

"Then I must regain my magic. " Merlin said

"I can't restore it." Gaius sighed. "It is beyond my power."

Merlin placed a comforting hand on Gaius' arm." I know. Perhaps it's beyond anyone's power. No, if there's an answer, I must seek it elsewhere." Merlin turned around thinking.

"But where?"

Merlin turned his head to look at Gaius. "The birthplace of magic itself. The Crystal Cave"

"But the valley of the fallen kings is crawling with bandits. Without your powers, you wouldn't stand a chance." Gaius warned with concern.

Merlin was silent for a minute as he thought.

"Which is why I won't be going alone" He answered.

_________________________________________

Merlin stood in Arthur's chambers as Arthur looked at all the polished armour Merlin had laid on the table.

"I think you'll find that's everything, Sire" Merlin said with his hands behind his back.

"Impressive. Very impressive." Arthur complimented " I've never seen work like it-- well, not from you anyway. "

Merlin chuckled " Thank you, Sire"

"So what are you after?" Arthur asked teasingly walking away over to his desk in the far corner of the room.

"After?"

"Come on, Merlin. You're the worst servant in the history of the world. Now suddenly this" Arthur teased " Is it money?"

"No" Merlin frowned looking down at his feet.

"No, it can't be that, you're already won all of mine. Time off?" Arthur guessed grabbing a scroll from his desk and walking back over to Merlin who was in the same position in front of the table.

"Arthur-"

"No, it can't be that either. You don't really do anything" Arthur said unrolling the scroll and reading its contents.

"I just wanted to make sure you had all you needed for your journey to Camlann, for the days ahead. " Merlin answered

"Thank you-" Arthur said now becoming confused and suspicious after hearing Merlin's words. "Merlin, what do you mean, my journey?"

Merlin took a deep breath and looked up to meet Arthur's confused gaze.

"I'm afraid I won't be coming with you. Not this time. I'm sorry. I have an urgent errand to run for Gaius- - Vital supplies that I can't obtain here."