Hammock

Staying at the the treehouse had been amazing so far. The first day here was coming to an end, but we still had a week until we had to leave. I was worn out. Beyond worn out. The drive to get here had taken several hours, and since Fire wanted to get here before the afternoon, we had all woken up at god-forsaken hours of the morning.

Fire had insisted I drive the Jeep, and I had insisted I drove the Mercedes. I knew there was a stretch of clear, flat field that we could all rip up with our supercars. We came to the agreement of Matt driving the Benz and I drove the Jeep. Fire said she would drive the SVJ Roadster, and Moose would drive the G-Wagon, since he wanted to take it out as well. Fire had brought the quads on a trailer, there was 4, but the SVJ handled towing them just fine.

We were gonna take the cars out tomorrow, though. Today was just a day to settle in and play in the river.

“Fire, can you put some more wood on the bonfire?” Matt asks from his spot, cozy in the hammock on the other side of her.

She nods, reaching for the stack that was next to her. Without standing up, she just chucks the log in, sending a plume of embers and ash into the night sky.

Matt mumbles a quick thank you before casting a glance over to me.

“What?” I ask, turning my head to look at him.

“Come here.” He says, glaring at Fire for a brief moment as she laughs at him.

I stand up, crossing my arms over my chest. I was wearing one of his hoodies, and it was big and warm. Hey, I need warm things in my human form.

Standing at the side of the hammock, my back to the fire, I cock an eyebrow and look down at him expectantly.

He makes grabby hands, and then I understand what he wanted.

“I'm waiting to have to tell you guys to take it in the house.” Moose snorts, and I try not to laugh as I hear Fire hit him.

After a bit of manuvering, I'm laying on Matt's chest, my head in the crook of his neck as he rocked the hammock slightly with his foot.

I was getting sleepy, and I was probably gonna fall asleep like this.

After awhile, I did. My mind toned out the background noise, which was really just Fire, Moose and Matt talking quietly, the fire crackling, and crickets in the forest.

As I dozed off, I could still feel the hammock rocking lightly. Matt was making it a point to let me fall asleep.

I woke up a bit later. Everyone still talked, but the hammock had stopped. I move slightly, trying to sit up or even lift my head.

“Sh, go back to sleep.” Matt hums, kissing the top of my head.

I close my eyes as the hammock starts to sway again. I murmur a quick 'I love you’ before I tap out once more, content with Matt's body heat, his arms around me, and the gentle sway.