Favorite Band

I played with Powder on the carpet floor of the living room. I sat criss-cross, holding a feathery toy just out of the cat's reach.

Corbyn and I were waiting for Fire and Jack to get back, they had run to the store to get ingredients for dinner.

Powder suddenly jumps, grabbing the feather in his mouth. I let go of it so I don't hurt him. I laugh as he runs a loop around the coffee table before bringing back the feather.

Music played in the background, from my phone that was on the coffee table. Bad Guy by Billie Eillish played.

I look up to Corbyn, who was on his phone recording me on the couch behind the coffee table.

I blow a bubble, smiling.

"Kitty, what's your favorite band or artist? Is it Billie?" He asks, still recording.

I scowl and blow another bubble.

"First off, fuck you," I say, not caring to censor myself, "second off all, ask my boyfriend."

He looked at me for a split second before he realized what I meant.

"Oh. Shoulda expected that." My boyfriend laughs, turning his phone off.

"Although I do like Billie." I say, nodding.

I turn back to Powder, who had grabbed a squeaky mouse from his toy basket.

I look up to the front door as it opens. Fire walks in with a two grocery bags, while Jack followes behind and shuts the door.

"You just missed the funniest thing," Corbyn laughs, getting up to go with them to the kitchen, "I asked Kitty what her favorite band was and she was like, 'Fuck off, ask my boyfriend.' and I didn't realize what she said until a few seconds later.

"She really said that?" Fire asked, and I snort, getting up.

I bend down and grab Powder first, before heading into the kitchen.

"My exact words were 'First off, fuck you, second of all, ask my boyfriend', by the way." I say, walking up to the side of the island that the barstools were at.

Powder jumps from my arms on to the island, making a beeline for Fire.

She scoops him up in her arms as he jumps at her, and everyone 'aw's when he jumps up on her shoulder, moving himself to wrap around her neck. It was so cute, his head and front paws were over one side of her shoulder, and his back paws and tail were on the opposite side.

"He looks like a Minx Scarf." Jack laughs, walking over to pet his head.