nightmare

tears rolled down my face as i shut my phone off.

the one message i got from fire played over and over in my head.

lit bitch🔥
ice... didn't make it. the vet gave him all the medicine he could, but he just... couldn't get his heart to keep pumping.

ice was my canadian marble fox. he wasn't even old. fire took him to the vet while i was shopping with corbyn. ice was barely breathing, and he couldn't open his eyes or stand, so fire rushed him to the vet.

it had only been an hour since they got there. fire insisted i stay home and calm down, she would watch over ice. and then just a minute ago i got that text.

corbyn walks into the bedroom, immediately noticing the tears. i sat criss-cross in the middle of our bed, my phone in front of me.

"is ice okay?" he asks.

i look up to him, and my lower lip starts to quiver as more stinging tears come. i shake my head slowly.

"th-ey couldn't k-keep his heart beating long enough to ho-ok him up to the machine." i stutter.

"no, no no no!" corbyn whispers as i start to sob.

he drops onto the bed, crawling up to me. he sits on his knees, pulling me into his arms. i cry into his chest, closing my eyes as i clutched on to his shirt.

"i'm trapped in a nightmare i can't escape from." i hiccup, trying to breathe.

"sh, i know that's what it feels like." corbyn whispers, burying his face in my hair.

"he's gone... he can't be..." i whimper.

ice couldn't be gone. he just couldn't.