last name

as we unloaded the camping things from the boat, i had time to think about whatever.

first thing that came to mind was my girlfriend. i thought over her name. last name, specifically. garner... garner, garner garner. the more i mentally repeated it, the weirder it seemed.

i visibly cringed as i set down the few chairs i had been carrying on a flat-ish rock.

"sam?" kitty calls, gaining my attention.

"are you okay?" she asks, worried.

i watch fire carry the ice chest behind kitty. she sets it down in the sand and glares at me.

she holds up her left hand and points to her ring finger with the other, telling me to just ask kitty already.

without saying - mouthing, rather - anything else, she picks up the ice chest and carries it to a shady spot just a few feet away.

i look back to my girlfriend and she's visibly confused and concerned.

"uh- yeah." i say, taking a few steps closer, standing in front of her.

colby stopped what he was doing and turned to us. fire too. they knew.

"kitty, what's your last name?" i mutter nervously, smiling shyly.

she cocks her head to the side as i reach into my hooding pocket, "uh... hasn't changed since we met?"

i get down on one knee and pull out a little black box.

colby yells something along the lines of 'FINALLY!' but i barely heard it. every sense was on kitty right now.

"maybe now it does." i whisper, opening the box.

kitty gasps, hands flying to cover her mouth. tears well in her eyes and i can see her smiling.

"yes!" she cries, not even letting me ask.

she lunges down at me, tackling me to the sand. she just murmurs 'i love you' over and over.

colby and fire cheer, finally excited i had asked after months and months of planning.