exploring accident

i panted, leaning against the wall by the door. colby, sam and fire were just as out of breath as i was.

we just ran half a mile, full speed, across an empty field with no cover. yes, it was night, but the neighborhood surrounding the abandoned hospital could still see us.

"we should get going. even if nobody said they saw us, doesn't mean they didn't call the cops." sam huffs, walking further into the trashed lobby of the hospital.

sam was the only one with his light on.

i turn my light on, following close after. fire followed behind me, and Colby brought up the back.

we checked out different rooms, found some old broken down equipment, and even a few stained and torn beds.

i broke away from the group, walking to the end of the hallway. i come up to a door, labeled basement.

i push it open, and i'm immediately greeted by a dark staircase, leading down into the abyss.

"kitty?" fire calls, followed by footsteps.

ignoring my best friend, i descend down into the depths of the basement, shining my flashlight around so i could see where i was going.

i didn't hear fire follow after me, but i did hear her talking with sam and colby.

the basement was trashed. there was beds and mattresses and drywall thrown around, there was chairs, and even some dried liquid on the walls.

upon closer inspection, i realize it was... blood.

i back up, but trip on something i had missed when i first came down.

i throw my arms back to try and catch myself, but it doesn't help. my head hits the concrete with a crack and my vision blurs and my hearing is completely drowned by a ringing.

"kitty? kitty!" i faintly hear sam say.

i'm suddenly lifted from the floor, picked up bridal style, and brought up from the basement.

my sight and hearing comes back, but my head throbs.

i look around, realizing i was still in sam's arms, but we were halfway down the hallway.

"i grabbed her flashlight." colby says, coming to stand next to fire.

"scared the shit out of me, kitty! don't go down by yourself!" sam says, feeling the back of my head for any injury.

"you'll be okay, you're not bleeding." he sighs in relief.

he sets me down on my feet, and colby hands me my flashlight.

"do you want to keep going?" fire asks, looking down the hall that would lead us to another wing of the hospital.

"for the most part, yes. my head won't hurt the whole time." i shrug.

i shine my flashlight down the hallway, walking on. a series of footsteps follow after me. an arm suddenly wraps around my waist, and i look up to see sam. he didn't look at me, just shined his flashlight down the hall as well.