night drive

the road was quiet and dark. i didn't know if i liked it or not. i'm sure i'd never decide.

corbyn drove, since he had an easier time staying up late than i did. he was lucky he was driving my car, i don't let anyone else. not even fire.

since we were on the freeway, there were no streetlights. so that just left us in the dark, the soft flow of the screen on the dash illuminating the interior of the Mercedes.

i had my seat reclined as far back as possible. my arms were crossed behind my head as i looked up through the sunroof at the stars. they seemed to pass by ever so slowly, but i didn't care. they were so bright, i didn't want them to move quickly.

"you should sleep, you know." my boyfriend says quietly.

"can't." i sigh.

"why not?"

"dunno."

"you sure seem tired."

"but 'm not."

that was the last thing said for awhile.

i don't know why i wasn't tired. it was nearly one in the morning and i had not had a trace of caffiene today.

corbyn turns on the radio, putting on hit songs of today. he reaches into the back seat and rummages around, but i don't try and look at what he was doing.

he suddenly pulls up his hoodie and throws it on me.

i sit up, pull it on, and lay back down the way i had been before.

corbyn rests his hand on my thigh, rubbing little quarter-circles.

now that i was warmer and wearing something that smelled like my boyfriend, which made me feel safe, my eyes started to droop. it only took me less than a few minutes before my eyes fell shut and my breathing became slower and more shallow.

"goodnight." corbyn whispers, the last thing i hear before my mind blocks out everything and i fall asleep.