A Moment Of Silence

“Matt. Please, just stop.” I plead, not wanting to get in a fight with him over a little thing.

“No! You can't just let people walk all over you like that! You can't let people do what they want!” He growls.

I cross my arms and sigh, fighting back tears. I hated getting yelled at. He knew. I know he knew.

“I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I was scared to speak up.” I finally snap, raising my voice.

Matt was shocked for a minute. Of course he was. I was yelling right back.

“You know you have to speak up sometimes, even when you're scared.” He says, trying to keep his voice down.

“I know. And I try. But I'm sorry that I can't bring myself to it. I'm not like that.” I cry out, my attitude switching from mad to upset.

Matt takes a deep breath, pulling me into a hug. I let him, but I don't hug him back. We sat like that for a minute, calming down.

“A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret. That's why I stopped talking. I was mad, yes, but I knew I would regret it if we kept going.” He whispers.

I think about it for a minute, realizing he was right. I hug him back, tightly. I felt bad now.

“I love you. I'm sorry I yelled at you. I'm sorry we argued.” He apologizes, pulling back with his hands on my shoulders.

“I'm sorry too.” I sigh.