Chapter 44: Each Other

3rd Person POV:
How the hell did he know? There's no possible way he could have found out!

"By the way, where's (L/N) Midoriya?" Todoroki inquired.

"O-Oh, she was given the day off," Izuku quickly explained, hoping it'd be enough to satisfy Todoroki's sudden curiosity and concern for his childhood friend.

Chisaki can't have known about those incidents. How did he gain such personal information on me? On something nobody knows?!

"Odd. Why?" Todoroki asked.

"I-I can't say," Midoriya replied.

"Then I'll go ask her myself," Shōto declared, preparing to exit the room to find (Y/N).

"No! Todoroki, you mustn't!" Izuku begged the younger male. "She'll start pushing us all away again. Please just let her have some space for once! One day off won't harm her, it'll improve her mental health. So please, just leave it be!"

Midoriya got out of his seat and ran to grab Shōto's wrist. He looked at him with pleading, desperate green emeralds.

Forest green met stormy grey and cold turquoise.

How did he know?

"Just give her some time to herself, to gather her thoughts, if you can't let this be. Chisaki brought up a very personal topic for her, something even you don't know."

Shōto searched Izuku's eyes.

I know everything about (Y/N). I'm the only one here aside from Midoriya and possibly Bakugō who can help her when she needs it. However, Midoriya is not one to lie. His eyes show that he is in fact telling the truth. Does this have to do with her parents? Or maybe the non-stop bullying she received when we were separated?

"Very well. I won't bring it up or even ask her."

"Thank you Todoroki."

Later
"At Kamino, when I fought against All For One, I thought, 'This was the end...' but you were there," All Might said as he looked at Izuku's tearful expression. "You... all those days, you, a quirkless and timid person, you answered my call. Those days whispered to me, 'You have to live.' Then your mother told me to 'live and protect and raise him!' So I'm going to struggle even harder! You changed me! And I will live!"

Izuku's POV:
After talking to All Might about how he had originally intended on giving his quirk to Mirio instead of me, I felt a bit better. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of me. I felt like I could finally focus on my studies again and still continue interning with Nighteye.

However, I wish I could say the same for (Y/N).

What Chisaki had said to her seemed to have upset her a great deal. When she wasn't in school that day, she had spent it walking around the city without any supervision, requesting to be left alone to think. And so I too left her alone despite wanting to reach out to her.

Simply put, she didn't do so well in lessons either.

It was noticed immediately from the very second she walked into class.

She was a mess.

How on earth do I bring up a topic so sensitive to her? Something no one, not even Todoroki, knew about her.

On that day I spoke to All Might, I decided to lift her spirits, so later that night - when everyone was in the shared living space on the ground floor - I made my way to her room.

I rapped on the door lightly, gently calling out to her as I opened it slowly.

"Oh Izuku, what is it?" she tiredly asked whilst I entered her dorm.