Chapter 51: Self Doubt

3rd Person POV:
"Use your quirk dammit!" Katsuki cursed as he threw the girl into a wall.

It shattered upon impact.

(Y/N) groaned. Looking to her right, she jumped backwards, Katsuki's next attack missing her.

He used his quirk to propel him up into the air. He sent a devastating explosion her way, forcing her to shadow travel.

Katsuki landed, temporarily allowing paranoia to take over. For as long as she stuck to the shadows, he wouldn't be able to see her.

"Quirky's gotten smarter," he whispered under his breath, sweat dripping from his hands.

He couldn't just blast her out, he was the hero in this exercise. He didn't want to taunt her either. He knew she had been through a lot. Whilst he could use that knowledge against her, he decided it was a coward's move. And Katsuki Bakugō, is anything but a coward.

His eyes continued to dart around. It was eerily quiet. Too quiet.

A sudden kick was planted in his face the second he turned back around to check the opposite direction. It was firm. It was fast. It was strong.

Grabbing her leg, he swung her around, tossing her into yet another wall to which her back slammed into. She got back onto her feet.

All other matches has now concluded. The remaining Class 1A students along with All Might and Eraserhead watch the two fight. They had only four minutes left, each match having a fifteen minute time limit.

Ochaco felt chills run down her spine. To her, this fight was chillingly reminiscent of her fight against the explosive blonde. Just like back then, Katsuki had the upper hand whereas (Y/N) definitely was handicapped.

(Y/N) shot her favourite element at Katsuki in its raw power and form. Admittedly, she had little control over how it acted, but she felt it best suited the situation she was in. Not that it mattered.

Katsuki lept out of the way. He grabbed onto a metal pipe that's hung from the broken ceiling above them, swinging his way to (Y/N). He threw a punch.

She blocked.

Flames erupted from her body, forcing Bakugō away from her. The amber blaze licked at his feet, a few scorch marks on his face and hero suit.

"Shit," she muttered, dropping down to a kneel.

She had exhausted too much energy. She was tired, hungry and in desperate need of a break. But she knew Katsuki would be piss-

"For fuck sake! Just let yourbloodyself rest wouldya?! " Katsuki demanded.

(Y/N) was taken back for a second. After a moment's hesitation, she announced that she was giving up thus drawing the match to a close.

"How did you know?"

"You've been working day and night, bending yourself over backwards to control and figure out the limits of your quirk. That's fucking how," he declared, descretely thrusting an apple into her hand. "Carry food on ya, dummy," he mumbled after. He stalked away having said what he wanted.

They both returned to the control room where everyone received feedback on their battles. (Y/N) just sat down in a corner and ate her snack, her social battery already drained despite there being one more lesson remaining.

"(Y/N)," Toshinori called out, walking over to the student.

The rest of the students had left along with Eraserhead leaving the two alone.

"Yagi."

"You won't have training for a while now thanks to the Culture Festival."

"Can I just like, not take part?"

Ruffling her hair, All Might laughed at her question.

"I'm sorry I wasn't the guardian you needed, but if you can't take part in the festival for me or the school, do it for your class and Eri," he requested.

"I guess so..." she murmured, glancing off to the side.

"Anyway, now I must tend to young Midoriya. Hurry to class now little one."

"Y-Yeah," she stammered not use to the fatherly affection. Her cheeks were dusted a light pink. Neither her own father or Toshinori had treated her in such a kind manner.

Well, they had been kind to her, both her parents and her current guardian, but they never had time to treat her like their own daughter/child. They were too busy saving the world. Trying their best to give her and billions of people a better tomorrow.

Getting up to head off to the changing room, she sighed to herself. Was being a hero the right career path for her? Could she do any job? She could barely control her quirk as it is. She knew that. She was a potential hazard on the field but somehow, she still got her license and scored first place in the exam. Sounded like rubbish if you ask her.

There were so many other people there. Didn't someone else deserve the praise and recognition she received?

Of course there was.
.
.
.
Right?

At this rate, I've fallen really far behind the others. Can I even catch up?

Self doubt has always been her worst enemy; but will she let it consume her?