||25||

"What happened to you?!" Choro basically screamed in my ear as he, Inoiché, Uncle Inoichi and Uncle choza entered my room. Choza had a box in his hands.

"My target got the upper hand, but I beat him anyway, it's fine," I pushed his face away from my own.

"Right, shut up and listen now," Inoichi hit Choro lightly on the head and pushed both him and Inoiché down onto a stood next to my bed while he and Choza went on the opposite side and sat on stools beside Pa.

"Do you know what our earrings symbolise and why we wear matching ones?" Inoichi asked.

"Because you felt edgy?" I asked, a brow raised in confusion.

"No, idiot!" Pa snapped, "we wear matching earrings because we have a union between the Nara, Akimichi and Yamanaka clan."

"You should probably start from the beginning," Choza poked Pa, who in return just grumbled.

"Fine. The Nara clan, Akimichi clan and the Yamanaka clan are three clans of the leaf village who use highly unusual secret jutsu and we've been combining our jutsu together for generations. Making our three clans have a sort of special relationship," Pa started, "to strengthen our union between the three clans and to keep them protected, the Sarutobi clan bestowed ear piercings upon the three clans. So, at every generation, the members of our clans swear an oath of loyalty on the earrings."

Why earrings though? It's rather a strange... Concept?

"So, our earrings aren't just decorations or a nice piece of jewellery we just wear for fun," Choza added on.

"We all wear our piercings so the message sinks deep and they constantly remind us of the oaths that we swore on the day we got them. So, you guys will have it done too, Shikarei, Choro, Inoiché," Pa concluded, "you all have already had your ears pierced."

"Yeah... but why?" Choro asked, I gave him an 'are you seriously asking that question?' face when the answer was obvious.

"From the time our children become genin and then until he, she or they become chunin status, we are to follow the tradition of passing our piercings to he, she or they. It's a tradition that's intended to teach the child all about the oath that one day they will take themselves," Inoichi answered.

"I don't remember getting Pa's piercings?" I pointed out, tapping the earrings that were in my ears at the moment.

"That's because you didn't want to change your piercings, you stubborn girl," Pa replied, "however, if you look at Choro he has his father's piercings in."

I looked at him to see, he was indeed wearing his piercings. But Inoiché wasn't. But he never wore them anyway.

"Anyway, here are all three of you, chunin and jounin. Here are your new piercings. It's time for you to take the oath," Choza told us, opening the box to show three pairs of white and black pearl stud earrings (photo at top) and each of our fathers grabbed a pair each and stretched their arms out towards us.

"You already know the oath, Shikarei. Just speak it," Pa tells me. I frowned.

"I know the oath?" I questioned. He nodded.

"Remember when we were sat in the tree?" he asked, "I told you something in that tree. What was it?"

I sat and thought for a while before placing my own hand on top of his.

"I swear as the sixteenth leader of this clan, I will pass on this oath that was passed to me by the fifteenth leader, down to the seventeenth and watch as it goes to the eighteenth and nineteenth," I said the words that he spoke to me in the tree that evening.