||42||

"You want to what?" Lord Third asked me.

"I want you to give me just a few weeks," I told him again, "just a few weeks to investigate. I know where he is, I just need time."

"Shikarei," he looked at me sternly, "you need to give up on Itachi."

"I can't, I just need him to tell me the truth, then I'll leave it be," I told him stubbornly, he just sighed in response before signing the village leave and classing this as an official mission.

"You have two weeks, no more no less," he told me, passing me the paper. I smiled and took it.

"Thank you," I thanked him, "please don't tell my family or friends about this."

"I've classed it as an official mission, they're not allowed to know," the Hokage replied, "now go before I change my mind."

"Thank you," I thanked him again before leaving the office, grabbing my bag on my way out and then leaving the village.

°🥢°
One week of travel later_

"Thanks," I thanked the bartender for his incredibly useless information and left the bar.

After a week of travelling around the land of waves, I've come to learn that Itachi seemed to have already left the area.

And now... I'm sat on a rock, just staring out over the ocean. It looks just as gloomy as I feel.

Suddenly a glint appeared at the base of my neck as something cold and sharp was pressed against it. A kunai.

"Hands up and stand up slowly," the voice demanded from behind me. The voice. It was familiar.

I complied with the person and raised my hands before standing up again. The person's chakra was familiar too.

"Why're you looking for me, Shikarei?" the voice asked, no doubt about it. It's him. It's Itachi.

"I've been looking for you since the... massacre," I replied, the kunai didn't leave my throat, instead, Itachi started to lead me to a cave where I was tied up and sat in front of a boulder, a blindfold tied around my eyes and the kunai finally away from my throat.

I sensed Itachi sit down across from me.

"Shikarei, you need to give up," he told me, "I'm nothing but dead weight for you."

"I won't give up on you until I know the real reason why you killed the Uchiha and why you put me under that fucking genjutsu," I replied, my voice gradually became a shout as I spoke before I just looked or moved my head down so I would most likely be facing the floor rather than him.

"You're angry," he commented, "I'm sorry."

I stayed silent and stayed still. I'm too stubborn to accept his apology.

"No shit," I muttered.

The sound of him moving hit my ears and I quickly jerked back up, leaning away from the hand that is most definitely coming towards me.

"Please... trust me, Shikarei," Itachi spoke softly, I hesitated before nodding and waiting as he reached past me. Nothing happened for a moment before the blindfold dropped to the stone floor below me. I expected him to move away, but he didn't. Instead, he placed his hand on my cheek and rested his forehead against my own.

"What're you doing?" I asked him quietly.

"Testing something," he whispered back before tilting my head up slightly and kissing me. At first I didn't kiss back, but after a few moments I couldn't help not to.

It was almost like nothing, but everything had changed over the past five years. I still feel like that 14-year-old girl, or at least in this moment I did.

We kissed until we had no choice but to breathe. All the memories I'd forced back pushed their way to the surface again as I looked at Itachi. His hair had gotten longer, it was still tied in his low tied ponytail. Though his expression was soft, his eyes had dark bags under, and he wore a black cloak with red and white clouds on. The Akatsuki uniform.

"I still love you," he mumbled, it was almost incomprehensible, "even after all I've done to try and forget you."

"Tell me," I leaned away and looked at him, "why?"

Itachi nodded and started explaining everything to me, how the Uchiha were blamed for the nine tails attack, how they began a coup d'état to overthrow the council, Itachi served as a double agent and everything else that lead up to the massacre.

"You couldn't have done it alone," I concluded, "meaning that masked man from the night when I saw you..."

"Yes, he helped," Itachi nodded, I sighed.

"I would've helped, I would've thrown my whole life away for you, Itachi," I told him, looking away from him and to the wall where a lizard was crawling out of the cave.

"I know, but even though I really wanted that to be so, I couldn't take you away from them," he replied, "your family, I mean."

"You're my family too, Itachi," I grumbled with a sigh, he turned my face towards him and shook his head.

"No, if anything I'm an obstacle," he told me, "an obstacle to you having the live you deserve."

"Trust me, my life couldn't be any more entertaining than it is right now," I lied, "it's so boring. Honestly, I sit behind a desk, write, read, research, leave the office, eat, and sleep, clean up, then repeat. It's so boring..."

He smiled and then sighed.

"How's Sasuke?" he asked me, I gave him a confused look.

"You mean you didn't kill him?" I asked him, he panicked almost straight away, "don't worry, he's probably OK, I didn't know he was still alive."

Itachi relaxed and smiled before pulling out his kunai again. I looked at the kunai in confusion and a little bit of fear as he moved it close to me.

What's he planning to do with that, huh?

I watched the kunai like a mouse does when it sees a predator. But I relaxed when Itachi just cut the ropes around me and then put the kunai away as I relaxed against the rock, now free from my bindings.

Itachi sat across from me and smiled.

"So, tell me about what's been happening," he requested, sitting against the rock behind himself. I nodded and started talking.

Ah... it feels just like before if I just ignore everything. Just for a moment. Let me go back to the days when everyone was alive and somewhat happy.