||40||

5 years later_

I sighed and leaned back in my chair.

Five years of searching for Itachi and nothing, nothing at all. I just can't find anything about him except that he's joined a rogue ninja group called the Akatsuki.

"This is so frustrating!" I shouted, throwing one of the many files in my hands down onto my desk. I'd recently moved into a small office in the Hokage Tower next to Pa's strategy unit office.

"What is?" Pa asked as he walked into my office with Iruka.

"This," I pointed at everything I'd filed and picked up, "Itachi and the Akatsuki."

"You got quite a bit of information here," he traced his fingers over one of my folders and then picking it up and flipping through the contents, "you've got names and a couple faces, not many stats."

"It's not that easy to get all the information so soon," I replied before looking to Iruka, "so, is there anything I can help you with?"

"Yes," Iruka nodded, "I was wondering if you could grab the graduate forehead protectors from Inoichi."

"Why me?" I asked, "it's not that I'm busy or anything but still..."

"Well, you see, I have to grab some papers and you know Inoichi pretty well and he'll give them over to you without issue," he replied sheepishly, "sorry if this is a problem."

"No, no, it's alright. I have some papers I need to drop off in the Interrogation division anyway," I replied before standing and grabbing a folder, "do you need anything taking over, Pa?"

"Yeah, can you pass these over to Ibiki?" he asked, passing me a black folder with the red letters 'CONFIDENTIAL' written across the front.

"Confidential files?" I asked with a raised brow, he nodded.

"I trust you, Shikarei," he waved lazily and walked out my office.

"Alright, I'll have those forehead proctors in the academy in, shall we say, 15 minutes?"

"Good," Iruka nodded before I walked past him and started on my way to the Torture and Interrogation Division.

°🥢°

"Hello Ibiki," I greeted the scarred man, he shot me a deadly glare as I passed him the folder, "from my father. I haven't read any of the contents, nor has anyone else. Is Inoichi around?"

"No but if you're here to get the graduates forehead protectors you'll find Inoiché is in possession of them," Ibiki replied, pointing in the direction of the Interrogation section. I thanked him and walked in the direction he pointed me down.

"Inoiché?" I knocked on the Yamanaka office door before walking in, "I'm here to pick up the graduates forehead protectors."

"Yeah, the box is over there," Inoiché didn't spare me a glance, just pointed as he scribbled down things on paper.

"Thanks," I replied, grabbing the box of forehead protectors, and then peeking over his shoulder to see a stack of paperwork, "doing uncle's work?"

"Oh, it's you, Shikarei," Inoiché noticed me, "and yeah, he and Uncle Choza went on a mission to the sand, I suspect that Choro is doing Uncle Choza's work as well."

"I see," I nodded, "apparently I'm on errand run today."

"Sounds better than sitting around signing papers that literally could be compiled onto one document and given to the Hokage," Inoiché replied with a slight laugh, "anyway, you should hurry. I believe the exams will begin soon."

"You're right, any messages you want passing on while I'm on errand run?" I asked him, adjusting my grip on the box of forehead protectors.

"Wish Ino luck for me, Choro and Ren will probably want the same for Sakura and Choji, so mind passing the message on?" he asked me, I nodded and waved before leaving the office. On my way out I meet Genma and give him the documents that I needed to give over to him. He thanked me for them before we both split ways again and I made my way to the academy.

°🥢°

"Iruka?" I called as I entered his classroom where a bunch of recognisable faces.

"Ah, Shikarei," Iruka smiled, "thanks for grabbing those for me."

"Yeah, where am I putting them?" I asked, "I have other things to get to, you know?"

"Yeah, yeah, sorry, sorry," he gave me an awkward look before coming over and taking the box from my hands, "jeez this is heavy!"

"No, it isn't," I shook my head, "anyway..."

I turned to looked at the class.

"Ino, Sakura, Choji, Shika and Naruto," I addressed the kids, "good luck from your favourite people ever!"

"Thank you, I'll pass this time! Believe it!" Naruto shouted, throwing a thumbs up and a massive grin into my direction. I smiled and gave him a thumbs up.

"I believe it, Naru," I nodded, "anyway, back to the papers I go."

"Have fun," Iruka waved now that the box was out of his hands.

"Not likely," I shook my head before waving and leaving the classroom.

Time to get back to work.

I'm a jounin but all I do is sit around and research, with the occasional mission, of course.

Ren works in the hospital and Inoiché is working under his father in the Torture and Interrogation force though he really wants to become an academy teacher. Choro is mainly on the farm but goes out frequently on missions as well.

Considering that we were one of the stronger teams, I have to say we've been... downgraded a little bit.

I miss going on missions... what a drag.