||30||

1 year later_

I took a deep breath as the gates of Konoha appeared in front of me once again.

"It's been a while, Konohagakure," I muttered to the village as if I expected it to actually respond to me as I passed through the gates, the sleeping guards and towards the Hokage tower.

"Lord Hokage?" I called as I knocked on the door.

"Come on in!" his old voice called back, I entered to see a familiar black-haired and silver-haired boys with their anbu masks on.

"Hm? Shikarei?" Lord third asked, I nodded, "Welcome home."

"Thank you, Lord Third, the training was a success. You were right to send me there," I replied before pulling out a scroll and passing it to him, "a message from Coco-Hâta Hyuga and Tomoe Uchiha."

"Ah thank you," he thanked me and unrolled the scroll as the two anbu looked at me closely, "you just brought me the news I've been waiting for, for a good three years. Thank you, Shikarei."

"No problem, anyway there isn't much to report so I guess I will go home?" I suggested, he shook his head.

"The academy finishes soon, you should go pick up your brother," he told me, I smiled and nodded.

"Well then, I'll be off," I waved and locked eyes with Itachi and Kakashi who both knew I knew it was them before leaving the room and jumping to the academy.

I looked around the academy to see children everywhere. In one corner Inoichi was with Ino and Inoiché who looked exhausted, next to them was Choza and Choji. Somewhere else, Ren was with Sakura and Shikamaru. Fugaku was with Sasuke and off in the distance was a blonde boy sat alone on a swing.

Naruto.

I put on a smile and walked over to the blonde.

"Hey Naruto, long time no see, huh?" I knelt down in front of him and smiled up to him. For a moment he looked confused before grinning and jumping on me, tightly hugging me.

"Big sister Shikarei! It's been so long!" he shouted, I laughed and patted his head and he let me go, "where have you been? The old man said you were on an important mission."

"I was training," I replied, smiling at him, he really looked like Lord Minato and Lady Kushina. The comparison was so close that Naruto could just be the two of them merged together and aged down a bit.

"Did you get stronger?" he asked, "can you teach me?"

"Not this skill, I cannot teach anyone it unless someone has the same eye as I do. But I did get stronger, now no one can beat me," I joked, mock flexing my muscles before poking his forehead, "anyway, I've got to go now Naruto. You should go straight home and do your homework. We'll catch up another day when I'm free, OK?"

"Ok!" he grinned at me before I turned around. I guess I don't need to worry much about him yet.

I snuck up behind Shikamaru and picked him up and dropped him down on my shoulders.

"Ah! Kidnapper!" he lazily and unmotivatedly called out.

"Shikamaru, that wasn't very convincing," I grumbled before looking up at him as he looked down. He suddenly smiled brightly and hugged my head, leaving me in an awkward position as he did. Ren looked at us surprised.

"Shikarei?"

"The one and only," I replied, after Shikamaru let me free and I let out a long yawn.

"Welcome home!" he basically shouted at me, gaining the attention of everyone around us, including the Akimichis and Yamanakas. They squinted in my direction before my teammates ran over and dragged me (and Shikamaru) into a hug.

"What a drag," both me and Shikamaru grumbled, this caused everyone to laugh as I shot Shikamaru a weird look.

"When did you pick up mine and Pa's habit, hm?" I asked him, he shrugged and laid his arms on my head and then his head on his arms. I felt him relax against me as Choza, Inoichi, Choji and Ino reached us.

"Alright, we need to settle this now," was the first thing Choza shouted, "Shikarei who's your favourite uncle?"

"Yes! I must be your favourite right?" Inoichi asked, both of them childishly leaned forward slightly as Ino and Choji gave them weird looks.

"Who is she?" Ino asked, I choked a laugh.

"I'm Shikarei, your older brother's teammate," I introduced myself to her, "we used to hang out all the time, Ino. You too, Choji."

"Really?" Choji looked at me curiously as I looked to the adults.

"And I don't have a favourite uncle, you're both equally my favourite," I told them before looking up at Shikamaru, "we should get home before the troublesome woman at home begins to worry."

"What a drag," Shikamaru grumbled as we both waved half-heartedly, and I started walking away. The two of us talking about everything and anything as I walked through the streets and to the familiar Nara compound before entering the house and kicking my shoes off.

"We're home!" I called; the sound of thudding grew louder until my father was in front of me. I'm fairly sure that's the fastest he's ever moved in his life before.

"Princess?" he pulled me in a hug, squashing me and Shikamaru in the process. I hugged him back, relaxing into his hold happily before patting his back and waiting for him to let me go. When he didn't, I forced out a 'losing...air...' before he finally let me go.

"Welcome home, Shikarei," he smiled so brightly at me that I kind of felt slightly guilty for leaving for that whole year.

°🥢°

I sat on the end of Shikamaru's bed as he laid down.

"Anyway, I'll see you in the morning," I was about to leave before Shikamaru grabbed my hand. I turned to see him pull something from under his shirt. It was a very recognisable pendant that matched my own that was also around my neck.

I smiled and pulled my own out, showing it so him.

"So, it was you who gave this to me," he nodded to himself before letting me go, "good night, big sister."

"Good night, Shika," with that I left the room, turning his light off and closing the door behind me to see Ma and Pa both smiling sweetly like they just ate some delicious, sweet thing.

"What a drag, stop smiling like that," I shook my head and walked into my own room before flopping down onto my bed.

An actual bed.

I'm so happy.

I've been sleeping on the floor of Coco-Hâta's and Karia's room for the past year and I swear I've got a dead back or something from it because I can't feel discomfort sleeping on the floor anymore...