40

The board meeting had been tense if anything, planning the last leg of the elections may have been easier a week ago.

But now that it was over, everyone left with a sigh of relief. Well all except for Ama. She tapped her feet impatiently, waiting for the last few to leave while staring daggers at Graham.

"What are you still doing here." He asked, not looking up from his papers.

"I could ask you the same." Ama retorted, itching so desperately to slap him.

"This is my building, I work here."

There was a moment of silence, the tension building by the second. Ama couldn't hold it back any longer, and she let her fury lead the way.

"You don't know me, Graham."

"Quite frankly, that was made obvious over the weekend." He said casually.

"Why did you sleep with Liliana Rodriguez?" She finally said.

Graham raised a questioning eyebrow. "I didn't think you the type of person to stalk, but I guess I shouldn't put that past you now. Why, are you jealous or something."
"Yes I'm fucking jealous, why wouldn't I be. But do you have any idea what you've done. She works for me, you sleeping with her has jeopardize her safety."

"Why, is she going to get assassinated or something. Look whatever shit you got yourself into, I want nothing to do with it." Graham said through an empty laugh.

"Well it's too late. You started digging that hole as soon as you touched me." Ama hissed. "If you'd listened and stayed away, your life wouldn't be on the line."

"My life is perfectly fine."

Ama let out a frustrated scream. "You should be kissing my feet for what I did. I saved your life you ungreatful swine."

"What, by almost shooting me?"

"If I hadn't shot Zach, he would have rammed that knife through your scull."

"Sorry, but I don't kiss the feet of murderers." Graham gathered his papers and made his way to the door.

"Hey! You don't understand. You can't just sleep around like that. You could put yourself in danger. How the fuck do you think I'll feel if I find out you died." Ama called after him.

"How should I know, it's not like we were really a couple anyway. Like you said, we were just friends." He grumbled. "Now if you'd excuse me, I have to get to work. Good day Miss Jenkins."

And with that he was gone. It was only then that Ama noticed liquid running across her fingers. She lifted her fists to see them trickling with blood. She must've balled them so tightly her nails cut through her palm.

She dug them into her pockets and left the building.

Graham slammed his glass down on the desk, it was his third scotch since the meeting and it still wasn't helping his mood. Being around her, thinking about her, only made it worse.

He felt guilty for treating her like that. How could he just sleep with another girl, despite his feelings for Ama. He was a terrible person.

Is this who he used to be? Is this what Veronica had meant?

Maybe she was right. But then again, he knew next to nothing about Ama. She was not who she seemed to be. Or had Graham deliberately ignored the signs.

And the emblem. That 'M'. Eva had said is it was a tattoo, one she had to cover up because of work. Had she lied to him.

Was he already involved in this mess because of Eva. What sort of mess was this. Some sort of gang vendetta, or was it bigger than that.