68

"Ama! Ama can I borrow your Gucci polo shirt! I need it for my new profile picture!" Beth cried as she ran through the house looking for her sister. "Ama where are youuu!"

"She went out with Graham." Came Christoph's voice. "I think they went to her office."

"Oh," Beth said, not turning to look at him. "Well thanks I guess, I'll be off now."

But before she could get away, Chris caught her by the arm.

"Beth, I need to talk to you."

"Let go of me. I think we've talked enough already."

"Please just hear me out. I'm sorry for how I acted that night. I didn't want to hurt you."

"But you did Chris." Beth said, finally turning to face him. It was a mistake, because now she wasn't going to be able to resist him.

"Please. It's very important." He begged, pleading with his eyes.

With a sigh, Beth agreed. She led them out into the garden, the air was chilly but it was nothing compared to the nervous feeling she had within her.

They walked in silence for a while, wondering who would speak first. But finally Chris spoke.

"I have a secret." He blurted out. "A dark one."

"Does it have anything to do with those tats behind your ears?" She said without looking at him.

She heard him chuckle. "You noticed. And yes, it does."

"What do they mean?"

"They don't have much of a meaning, they're more like a punishment."

This time, Beth did look up at him. What could he have possibly done to warrant tattoos as punishment.

"They're a constant reminder of what I did. And the kind of person I am."

"What kind of person are you?"

Christoph looked Beth straight in the eyes. "Right now... I don't even know."

It was silent between them again, Beth took a winding path that led to the small woods on the estate, the same path they used for the cross country challenge.

"What did you do?" She finally asked, not knowing if she was ready to hear the answer.

She heard him take in a deep breath before saying in an almost inaudible voice.

"I murdered someone. My father."

Ama thanked the driver as she stepped out of the car and onto the pavement. It had been a very long time since she's been at her main office. She felt the all too familiar feeling of home here.

"Wow, this place is Amazing." Graham said from behind her.

She scoffed. "Wait till you see the inside."

All heads turned at the clip clopping of Ama's heels as she entered the lobby.

"Bienvenue Même Ama!" Was heard from all the staff they crossed, replied with and equally polite. "Merci.".

They rode the elevator to the top floor to a black and cold themed lobby. To the left was a desk with a nervous looking Asian girl with a red bob tat behind.

"Oh welcome back Miss Jenkins!" She almost shreaked, scurrying to greet Ama.

"Thank you Darcie, I hope you enjoyed you time off work."

"Oh yes, thank you. Would you like me to take your coat?"

"No it's fine. Darcie, this is my boyfriend, Graham Banks. Gray, this is my PA Darcie Kim."

"Oh nice to meet you Mr Banks." She said, sticking a hand out for him to shake.

"And you two Miss Kim. I thought Phoebe was your assistant."

"Only when I travel. She's part of a security company. Darcie where's Saskia?"

"She went down to account a while ago, she's not back yet."

"Okay then. Tell her I'm around when she's back. I'll be in my office."

"Okay, ma'am. Welcome again."

Darcie scurried back to her desk and Ama made a beeline for her office door. When she opened it up, she was hit with the mess she'd made before she left.

"What happened in here?" Graham muttered, looking at the sketches scattered across the room.

"I had a bit of a creative block before I left. And since no one comes to my office when I'm gone..." She quickly shrugged off her coat and set about clearing the mess.

"I'll help." Graham said, already picking up broken pencils.

Within fifteen minutes, the office was back to normal. A grand room, as would be expected from a woman like Ama. Black, gold and white they. Floor to ceiling windows, an mini bar, lounge area. And...

"A chandelier, in the shape of a dragon?"

"You like it?" Ama smiled. "Had it installed after a trip to China."

"You're always on your feet aren't you?"

"No less than the next fashion designer. It's a quick moving industry. Though it has been quicker."

There was a small tapping at the door followed by a round faces blonde woman poking her head round the door.

"Welcome back Miss Jenkins." She smiled cheerily.

"Thank you Saskia." Ama smiled back.