Untitled Part 59

WHAT'S THE BEST THING TO BE IN WHEN YOU'RE TO FACE THE COPS?

In your high cut swimsuit, what else? Showcase the Brazillian Bonanza, as the spa calls it.

Look, Officers, no hair.

She didn't saw them arrive though. She was actually swimming when the really old expat from the Netherlands pointed them to her. She turned and was surprised. Hindi sa mga pulis mismo. Alam na niyang darating ang mga iyon. The head of Pueblo security called her yesterday. Gusto raw siyang makausap ng mga pulis regarding who else? Kailan daw siya puwedeng makausap pero maiintindihan nito kung ayaw niyang paabala and Mr. Head of Security would see to it that no cop would never get near her.

'Oh, it's okay, Tito Mel. I'll talk to them tomorrow. I got few minutes after my morning swim.'

And she would make sure the cop got so distracted to think straight.

Surprise!

One of the two cops was a woman. Late thirties, avarage weight and height. Nakausot ng plain white polo shirt, nakatuck-in sa standard police navy pants. Holstered gun resting on her hip. Sunglasses. Severe bun.

Cool. Way to go, Sister!

No wedding ring. Probably a lesbo, so the Brazillian Bonanza was still a go.

The male cop on the other hand was...nevermind. Standard issue Pinoy cop.

Umahon sa tubig si Amber. Dinampot niya sa recliner ang towel. She just patted herself dry.

"Miss Amber Solano?" Sabi ng babaing pulis. Buo ang boses. There was an air of determination around her.

Nakangiti niyang nilapitan ang dalawa, "Yes, Ma'am." Inilahad niya ang kamay.

"Sergeant Baja." Sabi ng policewoman, tinanggap ang kamay ni Amber. The grip was firm. "This is SPO2 Toledo." Pakilala nito sa kasama.

Amber shook the man's hand, "Amber. Please call me Amber. I'm so sorry I have to meet you here--"

"Okay lang, Miss Solano."

"Um, dun na lang tayo?" Turo niya sa dako ng mga teak tables and chairs. Pinauna niya ang dalawa. May nakatatak palang PNP sa likod ng white polo shirt ni Sgt. Baja.

And nice ass.

Amber wondered what the female cop was like in bed. An alpha? I'll be the vixen.

"Can I get you anything? Drinks? Snacks--" aniya pagdating nila sa mesa. Mukhang walang balak tumanggi si Standard Issue Male Cop pero umiling si Sgt. Baja.

"No, thanks." Sabi nito. "Magsimula na siguro tayo para hindi ka na masyadong maabala. May mga tanong lang kami so we can wrap up the investigation." She gestured for Amber to sit down.

"Yes, I appreciate that Sergeant." Aniya at naupo, "It's been a hell of a week. Yesterday was supposed to be my friend's funeral, we've been preparing for a send-off....but now, her mom..."

"Send-off?"

"Like a party. We'll bring her favorite food, play her favorite music, wear her color. It's...it's somehow easier if we will just pretend that Blanche is going on a trip and we won't see her for a long time."

"Speaking of trip, where exactly is your sister?"

"Nepal. I think. To be honest, Sergeant, we have no idea. When she learned of what happened to Blanche, she took down all her social media. I think she blames herself and I can't blame her. She wasn't exactly an angel. Kaya nga nagkaro'n ng ganitong gulo."

"May statement kaami from Miss Hipolito's employer saying that you've been calling and texting her and that on the day before the incident, you came to see her. Nag-usap kayo sa kwarto ni Miss Hipolito.

"Hindi namin mave-verify dahil nababad sa puddle ang cell phone n'ya. Would you be willing to show us your phone, Miss Solano? Save us time and taxpayer's money." Ngumiti si Sergeant Baja.

"Mmmm, I think you'd need a warrant for that. My parents pay their taxes, I don't mind it being used to assert my rights."

"Right." Sabi ng babaing sarhento.

"But it's true, what Sef Gorospe said in his statement. I've been texting and calling Paige. Yes, I went to see her. We talked. You see, I thought we really are friends. She'd been so nice. But after Blanche died, Paige seemed...distant. I don't know..it's a feeling I get...she was ghosting me."

"Ghosting?"

"Uh, avoiding me. Naturally, I wanted to know why."

"Bakit raw? Sinabi ba n'ya?"

"Yeah, I even laughed about it. Wala daw s'yang load, hindi naman s'ya makalabas para magpa-load dahil maraming pinapagawa si Mamsh..Sef." Hindi alam ni Almber kung ano ang mga sinabi ni Paige sa mga pulis, but it was a case of her words against Paige's. Mas kapanipaniwala naman siguro siya kaysa doon sa may history ng...histrionics.

"Sabi rin ni Sef Gorospe, narinig niya si Miss Hipolito na kausap ka bago s'ya umalis nung gabing 'yun. Hindi lang niya narinig masyado ang sinasabi ni Miss Hipolito pero narinig niya na minention ang pangalan mo."

"I do that too." Sabi ni Amber. "When I'm on a date and I'm bored, I'd pretend to get a call and make up imaginary conversation."

"Nagkukunwari lang si Miss Hipolito na kausap ka."

"Aren't we all if we want to get out or be somewhere else?"

"Nasaan ka nung gabing 'yun, Miss Solano?"

"In my room."

"May kasama ka?"

"In my room, no one. But the maid, I'm sure she can confirm that."

"Hindi ka lumabas at any point that night."

Umiling siya. Hiningi ni Sgt. Baja ang pangalan ng maid nila at permiso na makausap rin ng mga ito.

"Sure." Ibinigay niya pati cell phone ni Dang, "She's alone kasi sa house, pag may ginagawa s'ya, hindi kaagad n'ya masagot ang phone. Pero 'yung cell phone n'ya, lagi n'yang dala-dala."

"Thank you very much, Miss Solano." Sabi ni Sgt. Baja at tumindig na.

"Glad to be of help."

The cops headed for the exit, Amber went inside the clubhouse. Nakigamit siya ng telepono sa lobby.

"Hello, Dang. Makinig ka, ha." Aniya sa maid.