Untitled Part 65

RICH QUINTOS was a smug, self-important kind of guy. Amber hated him the moment she laid her eyes on him. Middle-aged and balding. Stick arms and legs but with a pronounced belly. Disgusting.

He was also her parents' go to guy when it came to their finances. Rich made them rich, ayon sa magulang niya. It didn't came as a surprise that Rich was also the trustee of her and her sister's trust fund.

Nang makatapos si Amber ng college, sa trust fund na nanggagaling ang allowance niya buwan-buwan, as stipulated in the trust. Unlike the allowance before, this one was considered a monthly income. Therefore, taxable. Para siyang empleyado na sumasahod buwan-buwan. At kaunti lang naman ang taas sa minimum wage kaya nahihirapan siyang pagkasyahin ang 'income' monthly.

And that was the idea, according to Rich. Her parents wanted her to learn the value of money, to manage her finances no matter how small the amount, to be responsible.

My ass.

Kahit pareho sila ni Darby na sumasahod sa trust fund, alam naman niya na binibigyan pa rin iyon ng mommy niya ng pera--narinig niya one time. Habang siya ay nagba-budget at nililimitahan ang credit card expenses dahil siya na rin ang nagababayad niyon, wala namang nagbago sa lifestyle ni Darby.

"I can't do what you're asking me to do, Amber." Sabi ni Rich. Nasa opisina sila nito sa Makati.

"You are the trustee, you can release my assets. I'm not asking for the entire trust. Just fifty percent which I'm allowed to. Legally. And also because I've done what's stipulated. Got my diploma. I've been responsible. You can check my credit record." Most of all, I have been very patient.

"But this is a revocable trust, Amber. Your parents, the grantor, having full control over the trust changed the terms...again. Now, until we reach the hundred million mark, the fund stays put."

"A hundred million." Ulit niya. Kailangan nang umabot muna doon ang trust fun bago niya makuha. "When is that going to happen?"

"I can do it within a couple of years."

"Then what?"

"Then it's yours. Unless--"

"They change the terms again."

"I understand, Amber. And I believe in you, honestly. That's why I promise you, when the time comes, I will do everything in my power to talk them out of changing anything again. For the meantime, I was able to talk them into letting you borrow from the principal, up to twenty percent and if you let me invest that, I can build you a nice nest egg."

"Okay, do it."

May kinuha itong folder sa drawer ng desk, "I've prepared the documents because I knew you'd agree. Take your time reading." Intercom naman ang dinampot nito, humingi ng kape at croissants sa sekretarya.

Hindi pa tapos magbasa si Amber nang may tumawag sa kanya. Si Kim. She ignored it. Pero mayamaya lang ay tumatawag na naman.

"What?" Sagot na niya.

"Darby's coming back, Amber!" Balita nito, excited.

"What?" Bulalas niya.

"Yes! She sent me a text. She said we should start preparing for a surprise . For your mom and dad, on their anniversary."

Tulala si Amber. Hindi alam ang iisipin.

"Amber?"

"T-That's great." Aniya, nangangatal ang boses.

"Is there something wrong?"

"N-Nothing. I'm just...um...wondering why she didn't call me first."

"Hindi ka raw makontak. But she'll call you as soon as she can."

"Okay. Thanks for telling me." Aniya. Paige. It has to be Paige. "Uh, could you do me a favor and call her for me?" Aniya kay Kim. "I'm tied up here in Makati, just ask her how she wants the surprise to be."

"Sure. See you later?"

"Yeah. Bye, thanks."

Pinirmahan na niya ang mga dokumento. Hindi rin naman niya naiintindihan ang mga jargons doon. As long as Rich would make her money, it didn't matter how much he wanted to pay himself.

As for her trust fund, isa lang naman ang paraan para ang revocable ay maging irrevocable. And a couple of years was a long enough time to plan and execute the assurance that her parents couldn't change anything again.

For now, Paige. The bitch just wouldn't stop. Paige was supposed to be locked up in a mental facility, paano nagkaroon ng access sa phone? And the bitch knew Amber couldn't report it because that would raise a lot of questions.

At dahil may access ito sa phone, who else would Paige call or text?

Ty.

No wonder he was acting strange around her.