Chapter 21: Questions

Ryuuichi POV:

I was guiding the kids and Aratani to the science lab.

"Are you sure you can skip practice today?" I asked nervously.

"I'm sure the captain won't mind"

"Mind that you skipped for a week straight or you came 5 or 6 times for the whole break?"

"Yep, even the coach" She responds calmly.

"I see" I felt my soul leaving my body.

I slide the door open. "Hello, Mrs. Kamitani!" I greeted her.

"Oh hi, Kashima-san and Rikona-chan!" Her eyes sparkled at Aratani.

"Hi Auntie Kami, it's been a while" Mrs. Kamitani hugs her tight while Aratani hugs her back with a cringe face. She pushes her back and grabs her shoulders.

"Are you alright? Have you been well-fed? You're not alone right?" Her eyes were sincere for her. Like she actually was worried for her. As if she just came from an accident. Does she care about her that much? Even though she's not her own child

"Yes, Auntie Kami. I'm fine. Don't worry about me" Aratani smiles softly at her with soft eyes. This is the first time I'm seeing her like this. Why does it feel strange? I chuckled with my fist on my mouth at them. It's kinda cute to see her like this!

"Auntie Kami!~ Remember me?~" Junko raises her arms at her.

"Of course~ Junko-chan!" She lifts her up and hugs her.

"Yay! Can we play with chicks?" Junko asked her.

"Of course. Did you know your sister used to play with stray animals in the streets?"

"Really?" Junko was amazed. Really? I can't imagine her being gentle.

"Ok now. Let's go play" Aratani interrupted. Probably embarrassed.

"Ok~" Mrs. Kamitani puts Junko down and she runs off with the other kids.

"Thank you for inviting us" I thanked her.

"It's not a problem! The kids can come anytime I'm here!"

"Thank you!" I walked to play with the kids. Then I overheard them talking.

"Rikona-chan. Are you sure you don't need any help?" She sounded concerned.

"Auntie Kami. I need to do this alone. I cannot keep running away" She reassures her. Alone? Runaway?

"Ok, but don't forget that I'm always here for you. Call me when you need me."

What happened to her in the past. The thought troubles me. I should ask Kamitani

*Click*

I thought I heard a phone camera noise. Eh must be my imagination. I pick my ear and continue playing with the kids.

*TIME SKIP*

I left the daycare early to meet up with Kamitani after his practice. He's currently sitting on the benches. "Oi! Kamitani!" I waved at him as he waved back.

"Aren't you supposed to take care of the kids?"

"Aratani is covering for me"

"How did you know I was going to be here?"

'Your mom told me'

"It's just a coincidence!" I lied.

"Uh-huh...What do you want?"