Chapter 49: Recollection

Rikona POV: 

Who is this man? How did he know who I was despite wearing a mask? I took it off and got a clear view of him. I stared into his soft eyes that were looking back at me. I saw my reflection in his blue eyes. My vision gets blurry again. I wipe my tears with the handkerchief. 

"Why do I look like her?" I mumbled to myself even though a stranger was with me. I swallowed my saliva, trying to hold back my tears.

"What's wrong with that?"

"I don't like it" She left us. I'm reminded every day of her. The pain and sorrow that I felt that day still feel the same up to today. The cries still scream inside my head.

"Why don't you like your birthday?" I looked at him with a frown. I didn't mind revealing it to him for some reason. I had many reasons not to and yet I felt like it.

"Because it's bad luck... Every event that happened to me on this day gives me pain" Which is why I hate it. Especially today.... I have turned 18, the same age mom got married and now...I have to, but I don't want to.

"Well, that was in the past. Have you ever thought of the present?" He chuckles. 

"Especially with friends who care about you?" I was stunned. I know that they care about me that's why I love them. 

"But-"

"No buts young lady. From now on, your job is to enjoy this day until the very end" He commands me and I listened as I fixed my posture.

"Yes.." Why am I listening to him? It felt strange as if I know him.

"You have grown well" He laughs and I was mad at him. He was just teasing me! 

"What's your wish?"

"Huh?" My wish?

"Your birthday wish. This is a very important day for the birthday girl" My vein popped. Now I'm mad! He thinks this is some sick joke! Then I'll wish for something impossible!

"I wish that my mom and dad were here!" I got shocked and stared at him with tears still falling from my eyes. Why.... out of all wishes, I've chosen this? He was shocked too. I continued speaking without thinking. 

"I want my mom to give her regards to me" But she is gone. I felt my tears streaming down my face. I wanted to stop, but I couldn't

"I want my dad to dance with me...and give me away before I go" All this time, I thought I hated my birthday because it's full of bad luck when really, my parents were never there. My mom couldn't come no matter how hard she tries. And my dad.... He didn't even look at me once because I was not his daughter. 

"I just want to meet my father for once..." All the hatred and pain came back to me and it hurts so much. The strange man wipes my tears that were falling all over the snow and floor. 

"It's ok..." Although I was never alone, I still miss her. The snow piles on top of me. I'm cold ...It's cold ...

"At least you let it out" I felt something heavy on my shoulders. It was his coat, big and fluffy. Brown outside and white inside. I stood in place and looked at him in shock. 

"I....." I've been burying my sorrows and pain deep in my heart, only for it to grow and get stronger. But when I told it to him, I felt lighter? Is this what letting go feels like? I looked at the man softly. 

"Who are you?" I asked curiously.

He slips my mask on my face and smiled softly at me. 

"Just know me as Mr. AA" Double-A battery? Ok, I'm good with that. Then he turned around and walked back to the party.