Chapter 1 - Chanter

Chapter 1: Chanter

Malia POV

“Malia? I’m going out for a while. Will you be okay?” Cameron shouts from downstairs. I open my door and stick my head out to shout back,

“Yeah I'll be fine but when will you be back?” I ask. He looks at his phone then looks back up at me.

“Probably around 8:00pm. I’m driving to LA to see Carter and the other guys may be there as well.” He says. I do a small victory dance inside because this means I get the house all to myself.

“Okay well I'll see you later. Have fun!” I shout as I close the door. I remain motionless as I listen for the front door to shut. It does then I hear Cameron start his car and drive away.

Okay now I am alone.

I lock my door and go over to my closet and pull out all of my equipment I had set up over the years. I got my microphone and my stand. I pulled out the keyboard and got on my computer and opened garage band. Hmmmm what to sing today.

I go on my phone and scroll through my playlists and look for a song that jumps out at me. I smile when I see the song I want. I have been really into Camila Cabello lately. I mean that girl is only 17 (a year older than me) and she can sing so well. She knows how to control her voice and she is just adorable. I love the other fifth harmony members but I think she is my favorite because she is just adorable and because she is practically married to Ariana Grande who I have been in love with ever since Victorious came out in 2010. I thought she was adorable and I mean ZAYUMM that girl has a big voice and such a tiny body.

Anyways I start recording on garage band and start to play on the black and white keys of an all too familiar keyboard. I start to sing the lyrics to an oldie (It’s not that old)

I remember years ago, someone told me I should take, caution when it comes to love I did, I did, and you were strong and I was not my illusion my mistake I was careless I forgot I did. And now, when all is done there is nothing to say, and you have gone and so effortlessly, you have won you can go ahead tell them, tell them all I know now, shout it from the rooftops, write it on the skyline all we have is gone now. Tell them I was happy and my heart is broken, all my scars are open, tell them what I hoped would be, Impossible, Impossible, Impossible, Impossible.

I smiled into the microphone as Camila’s part of the song came up. I began to sing it the way she sang for Simon at the judge’s house. I smiled as I belted her part into the mic. I got carried away in the song and when I was finished I listened to it and did some editing to the piano because it was kind of hard to hear when I was belting into the mic. Once I adjusted the sound I saved it to my computer. I don’t like to add auto tune or if I do not much, because I feel it takes away the originality you bring to the song. When you sing without auto tune you hear the soul in your voice but when you change it, it all sounds the same. Now I don’t have a thing against people who use auto tune I just prefer not to.
I checked the time and it was only 2:26pm. Cameron left around 2:15pm so I hadn’t been here for long. I got up and pushed the keyboard back in its hiding place safely tucked away behind old clothes. I then grabbed my guitar from that same closet and strummed it a bit to see if it was in tune. I tuned it a bit then did a bit of song writing. I don’t do it often only when I feel like it or if something comes to mind which isn’t that often. If I ever become famous or make it in the music career I hope that my song writing skills get better.

I put away my song writing book for now and I go back to my laptop. I open garage band once again and I start to strum the guitar once more. The notes echo into the mic as I begin a song that is so overplayed but too catchy to care.

Lately I’ve been losing sleep, dreaming about the way that we could be. Well baby I’ve been I’ve been playing hard. Said no more counting dollars we’ll be counting stars. Yeah we’ll be counting stars. (I am not writing out all the lyrics because you won’t read them anyways)

As I finish out the song I put my guitar back and edit the sound on garage band. Once I am satisfied I go on twitter. Even though I am Cameron Dallas’ baby sister, I don’t like to draw attention to it. Sure if you ask for a picture (which rarely happens because most people don’t even know he has a sister) I will take it with you but I don’t want fake friends coming up and I don’t want all the attention. I scroll through my timeline and I look at some of Cameron’s tweets:

@CameronDallas: @Mr_Carterr I’m on my way la traffic sucks man.

@Mr_Carterr: @CameronDallas I know see ya soon man.

I didn’t read anymore because I am not into stalking my brother and his friends. But I am happy that he has friends to hang out with. I have never officially met them but from the stuff they post online, they look pretty happy. When our mom died it was hard on Cam and I. He was 16 and I was 13. I was really close to my mom. We would sing together, she never told Cam or dad about me singing because I told her to keep it a secret. Cam still doesn’t know and my dad is never around because he is fighting in the war. He happened to be home when my mom died. It must be awful for him I feel so bad. He had some time to spend with us before he had to go back. However she died and we only had a few days and then he had to leave again. It’s not fair on him

When my mom died I had thought about telling Cam and my dad about my singing but I was worried that Cameron would be upset that I kept stuff from him. Also now he has everything he could have ever dreamed. He loves his life, I don’t want to take the spotlight away from him. He looked so happy where he was. When he met the guys about a year ago he came out of his depression and started hanging out more.

Cameron and I were the average siblings when we were younger. We loved each other and we had our fair share of fights. As he got older he didn’t hang out with me as much, and I didn’t take offense to it because I liked being around my mom. But when she died I had no one. My dad would comfort me but he couldn’t stay for more than a few days. I rarely got the chance to call him. Cameron comforted me for a while but eventually he would go into his room and just not come out. For a majority of those 3 years our life was the same. We would stay in our rooms all day, only getting up to get food or use the bathroom.

Cameron and I did have friends but we weren’t extremely close with them. Because we had done Cyber School for the majority of our lives we didn’t know anyone that well. So when my mom died there wasn’t really anyone there to call except for Cameron but he had his own problems to face and I didn’t want to get in the way of that.

When Cameron met the boys he became happier and came out of his depression. We started to talk again and it was kind of normal. We aren’t closer or anything but we check in on each other every once in a while to see if the other is bored or something. However I like my privacy because I have a lot of secrets that Cameron doesn’t know about and it’s not just my singing…

Okay, so tell me what you think. I had this idea hit me like a freight train as I was going to sleep, so yeah. I am aware that some of my facts will be off, I know that Chris would have been there for Cameron but I can’t do everything right. BTW the chapter title is in French and chanter is the verb to sing.

Also just so you know I wasn't planning to upload anything until I finished the story and I haven't finished it yet. So this may change.

much love + stay weird
xoxo
-simplicational's queen