We all start somewhere

James walked into Bette's office at the back of her large gallery space, he looked at his book and smiled, she sat with her hair tied back, the sleeves of the expensive shirt she was wearing were rolled up and she was deep into looking at a broacher that had come early in the day.

"Bette,"

Bette looked up at the sound of her assistance voice. Taking off her glasses she smiled.

"What is it James?"

"Erm, have you heard...you've more than likely heard..." James was rambling and Bette was not abused, she didn't like rambling or small talk. It was very unlike him. She knew that he put up with a lot from her.

"James, you're rambling can you get to the point." Bette said, she sat back in her chair and folded her arms.

James took a deep breath and knew that he was messing this up completely. He had worked with Bette long enough to know that he was going to get into trouble with her if the carried on talking like this,

"Have you heard of an artist called Tina Kennard?"

"Should I have done?" Bette asked, cocking her head to one side, he was very in the know with a lot of the art world but she hadn't heard the name before.

"She's a young up and coming artist, has had small solo shows in Paris, London and New York." Jams informed Bette.

"What is her art like?"

"She's good, very good, she's done a mix of very large scaled abstract paintings and more detailed amazing paintings. She's very talented." James replied. He pushed his hands into the pockets of her dress pants.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"We have a two week window in our Spring diary."

"And you thought Ms Kennard would like to show her pieces here in LA, at LA Porter?"

"I think we should approach her, I know the CAC and a couple of other galleries are interested in her. perhaps we could pouch her." James replied.

"Okay, so are we interested because she's a good and talent artist or are we doing his because the CAC and I'm guessing Mocha and LA Public Art Gallery want her." Bette asked,

"We should have her because she's a remarkable artist. She's shy, I've meet her once at an art show, she doesn't say much. Very unsure of her talent, of herself. maybe the great Bette Porter can get her to show her art, show the world that she's amazing. She need a massive show to show her that she's good enough." James said.

"Have you fucked her James?" Bette asked raising her eyebrow

"No, Bette. seriously." James was hurt by the comment. "I think she's into girls but that's not the reason I'm asking."

"You think she's in girls. Nice way of saying she's gay."

"Bi-sexual maybe. I don't know Bette, I don't usually go around asking women those questions. But I think perhaps you could do a studio visit, see her work and perhaps decide yourself." James looked at his boss.

Bette smiled.

"Arrange a visit, I will see the art and decide then. Okay?"

"Thank you that's all I ask,"

"James,"

"Yes Bette."

"Where did you hear about her?"