-17-

y/n's pov

the next day

my eyes open up to an empty spot near me where mattia should've been. i walk out of my room and look around the house but couldn't find him anywhere. 

"where did mattia go?" i ask one of the soldiers. 

"he left the house a couple hours ago to handle some business," he answers. "i'm not sure when he'll be back."

"oh okay thanks." i walk to the kitchen and made myself breakfast while i wait for him to get back. 

suddenly, i hear the front door open and see mattia, kairi, and alejandro approach the kitchen. they all looked a little beaten up and i can tell there was some dried up blood on their shirts and hands. mattia had a little cut on the side of his face, kairi had a bloody nose, and alejandro was limping a little. 

"are you guys okay?" i shout. 

"you think we look bad, you should've seen the others," alejandro laughs. "we got em good." 

"i need a shower. and sleep," kairi groans. "can we skip the ball? just once?"

"no," mattia answers. "just go rest you cry baby." there was still 9 hours until the ball.

"cry baby," kairi mocks him. 

alejandro and him exit the room and head upstairs. 

"what happened? where'd you go?" i ask. 

"some people tried to ambush the warehouse but nothing i couldn't handle," he smiles. "sorry i left you alone in the morning." 

i stroll over to the cabinet and grab rubbing alcohol and a cloth. "it's okay i'm glad you're fine." 

mattia sits down on the chair and i stand in between his legs so i can help clean his wound. not once did he flinch. 

he two hands go to my waist and he pulls me towards him a little bit more. "last night was fun," he smiles while biting the tip of his tongue. 

i blush and continue wiping the excess blood around the cut. "yes it was."

"could've happened a lot sooner if you didn't go home with alejandro that night and give me attitude," he replies. 

"couldn't make it too easy for you," i shrug. 

"so all it took was for me to kidnap you?" he asks. "shit i would've done it sooner then." 

i laugh as he starts kissing my neck playfully and tickling my waist. "stopppp." 

mattia turns me around and holds me tightly so that i couldn't run away. my tank top strap fell down revealing my back a little bit. "i didn't know you had a birthmark."

"oh yeah," i say. "it kinda looks like a star if you stare at it long enough." 

"it does," he whispers and pecks it up with his lips. "it's cute." 

"wow, look at you two getting all touchy," zoey says walking in. 

"sorry," i mumble. "your cut's all good mattia." 

"she's a doctor now," mattia teases. "come shower with me." 

"uh no," i said. 

"why not?" he whines, tugging my wrist.

"i'm gonna run a mile again, to keep myself in shape. you should be proud." 

"run a mile after," mattia tells me. 

"but then i'm gonna be all sweaty." 

"fine, if you insist." he lets go of my hand and walks away. 

"you know he's faking it right," zoey states. "and you're just falling for it." 

"faking what?"

"this." she uses her two hands and points around. "he doesn't care about you, it's all an act."

"he slept with me, because it's an act?" i ask. 

"what? you guys slept together?"

i nod. 

"huh, guess he wanted to use you before he makes $9 million," she shrugs. "good for him." 

"what you do mean make $9 million?" i question.

zoey tsks and walks closer to me. "you didn't hear it from me, but he's going to offer you to Xavier for $9 mill in exchange." my face drops. "see, when mattia looks at you, all he sees are stacks and stacks of cash. so if he has to baby you, sleep with you, train you, put up with you for 9 million then he'll do it. even i'd do it."

"youre lying," i shake my head. 

"believe what you want, but i've known mattia almost my entire life. not only do i know how good he is in bed-- which i think we can both agree that he definitely knows how to make a girl feel good. but i also know how he thinks and how he acts."

 i remain silent because there was nothing i could say to defend myself.

"so uh, don't worry. you'll be reunited with your ex boyfriend soon enough," she smirks and walks out of the kitchen. 

zoey (short pov)

it was so satisfying to see the look on her face when i told her all that, but deep down a part of me knew mattia wasn't actually going to talk to xavier at the ball. for the sake of the panthers i had to take matters into my own hands.

xavier's pov

"you don't say," i speak into the phone. "and why isn't mattia talking to me about this?" i wait for the person to finish talking. "$9 million. we'll talk about this tonight." 

i hang up the phone and turn back to the man i had a meeting with. "sorry, i had a call. what were you saying?"

"what was that about?" the man asks. "sounded concerning." 

"damn panthers kidnapped my girlfri-- ex-girlfriend," i grit through my teeth. "they want $9 million in exchange for her but that would put a dent in my business." 

"ex-girlfriend huh? you must still care about her."

"oh i care for y/n a lot," i confirm. "she's a bit difficult yes, but i love her anyway. $9 million is just too much."

"pay him," the man says. "i'll even pitch in $4.5 million." 

i tilt my head. "and why's that?" 

"i help people who help me," he answers. "just remember that i did this for you." 

"how generous of you," i smirk. "i knew our alliance would work out perfectly." 

"for such a young man, i must say i'm impressed by you." 

"i've admired you work since i was little, you were practically like my idol," i chuckle. "it's always been a dream of mine to take down the panthers with you." 

the man smiles in approval. "then let's have a toast." he pours us two glasses of champagne. "to getting your girl back, to uniting our mafias, and most importantly... to taking down the panthers." 

.