-83-

y/n's pov

after denny's, mattia took us to every bar and beach we've been to when we snuck out to meet each other. in that moment i completely forgot about all our problems. it was just nice to finally be with him after thinking i lost him permanently.

"okay it's like 3am now," i notify him.

"we have one more stop," he said. "don't worry we won't stay for that long."

he started driving further and further away from the city and i immediately knew where he was taking us. the first time i told him i loved him.

"all i remember from here is when you didn't tell me you loved me back and hector fucking shot me," i laugh.

"well it has meaning to me," said mattia. "i should've told you here that i loved you."

"well crashing my wedding was pretty cool too," i tease. and then i remembered that was the day my dad also died.

"your dad would be really proud you, you know?" he brought me closer to him so i could lean on his shoulder.

"i'll take that into consideration when i- we take down the prophets," i reply.

"we'll figure that out together, like we always do."

"thank you for coming back to me," i felt the need to say. "i'd be so fucking lost without you."

mattia laughed at me my corny sentence. "nah i don't believe that. you're a tough girl, you always have been. you looked out after yourself for 21 years remember?"

"i mean i guess you're right," i smile. "but i still need you no matter what."

"and i'll always be here.. no matter what," he responded. "just as long as you don't do anything stupid so i don't lose you either."

i lick my lips subtly and continued staring at view of the city.

5 days later...

the day of the ball

for the past couple days everything seemed to go back to normal. mattia and i followed our original schedules and taking care of our own mafias.

but my worries came back when i remembered that every one of our enemies would find out he's still alive tonight.

"is there any way i can talk you out of the plan?" hector asked again.

"hector," i say sternly. "this is the only way."

"so what— you're gonna tell him at the ball that you hate your life so you wanna become a prophet and hopefully he'll welcome you with open arms?"

"obviously there's more to it but yeah that sums it up," i nod. "give it one whole day before you tell mattia and the rest of our friends."

"so everyone's gonna shit on me okay cool," hector sighs. "can't you wear a tracker or something? so i know where you are?"

"you don't think vincent's gonna pat me down for any of that shit?" i point out.

"fuck."

"look the party starts soon," i remind him. "we both still need to get ready."

"okay fine. i'll see you later."

i walk upstairs and head into my room where mattia was fixing his tux.

"hey," i smile. "you look good."

"why aren't you ready yet?" he asked.