-74-

y/n's pov

the next day...

"do we have everything?" i shout.

alejandro, kairi, and noah walked from around the corner with their suitcase.

"yeah," kairi gives me a thumbs up. "are we going to the airport or taking the private jet?"

"i dont feel like going through traffic," i respond. "we're taking the cobra's jet."

"alright then," alejandro opened the front door and the four of us walk out. our driver started loading our suitcase into the trunk as we got into the car.

"we all told our soldiers to meet us in jersey by the end of this week right?" noah asked.

"my cobras said they'll be there in 2 days," i inform him. "but i also told some to stay here and keep an eye on mattia still. we don't know if prophets are still here or not."

"that was a good call, they'll call us the second there's trouble," kairi nodded.

we heard the driver close the trunk and walking back to the front seat. "are we ready for departure ms. price?"

"we are," i confirm.

-

as i walk up the stairs to enter the plane, i turn around and stare at the view of france, taking in the beauty of it one last time. specifically towards mattia's direction.

"until we meet again," i say to myself. i close the door behind me and take a seat next to alejandro.

"you sure about this?" he asked.

"this is what mattia wants," i nod.

he placed his hand on top of mine and then squints his eyes. "where's your engagement ring?"

"i left it with my old life," i answer. "because now.. now i'm starting over."

alejandro didn't ask anymore questions even though i could tell he wanted to. "to starting over."

"to staring over," kairi and noah repeated.

mattia's pov

"lena, have you seen my car keys?" i yell.

"no i haven't, did you check everywhere else?" she asked.

i look around the room and saw my coat on the coat hanger. "hang on let me check the pockets."

i dig my hand in the left pocket, nothing. i rotate the coat and check the right pocket, but i felt something else.

it was y/n's engagement ring.

a wave of sadness washed over me thinking about how she must've put it there on purpose to return it to me.

i stare at the ring on my palm.

"i felt like i've known since forever. i'd do anything for you. no one has been here for me the way you have. no one has ever loved me the way you have. and no one will love you the way i love you, that's a promise. so y/n price, will you marry m-?"

"yes."

"i remember," i mumble to myself.

"found them," lena shouted. "they were under the coffee table."

"lena, i remember," i spoke louder.

"remember what?" she furrows her eyebrows.

"everything," i whisper. "my memories, they're back.."

she widens her eyes. "what? just like that?"

i held up y/n's engagement ring and stare at it. "just like that."

"so.. what does this mean?"

"it means.. i don't belong here.." i say sadly. "mattia polibio belongs in new jersey, with his family."

i watch lena's face turn into a sad expression. "you're not staying here, are you?"

"i can't," i tell her. "it's complicated but i have another life— a life i can't ignore. y/n, alejandro, and kairi, they're my family."

"they jogged your memory," she nodded. "i knew something was up with them, they acted so weird around you."

i heard her voice crack a little bit, indicating she was crying.

"i'm so sorry," i say. "you're an amazing woman. you always have been. and i'll never be able to repay you for what you did for me, but it's not fair to the people who have there my entire life."

i pull her into a hug and let her cry on my shoulder.

"i did love you lena," i add. "but there's someone else.."

"y/n?" she asked.

"yeah.." i confirm. "she's my first love. and they say you never forget your first."

"what they say is true," she referred to me, making me even sadder. "which is why i understand."

"please don't think about me when i'm gone, you deserve so much more than that. you deserve someone who will make you happy and i'm sorry i couldn't do that."

she hugged me tighter. "thank you for giving me good a year."

i waited a little bit before breaking the silence. "i'm gonna leave tomorrow morning, but for now, let's just stay here together."

.