-33-

y/n's pov

mattia grins before slapping my hand away and pushes me onto my back before wrapping his hand around my throat. "sorry, i like being top remember?"

"of course this is a joke to you," i managed to speak through his grip.

"this was never a joke to me," said mattia. "i cared about you and i've hated myself for it this past month."

"if you cared about me you wouldn't have lied to me."

he releases his grip and shook his head. "i've never lied to you." he starts putting on his clothes and tosses my dress at me. "but you can't really say the same, can you?"

"yes i can," i oppose. "i've never lied to you either." 

"cut the bullshit y/n," he raises his voice. "there's no point in keeping it up. i want to hear you say it yourself." 

"hear me say what?"

"the truth," he shouts. "i want you to look me in the eye and tell me everything from the beginning. if you care about me then you at least owe me that."

i go closer to him and look him in the eye. "i have never lied to you. i cared about you, a lot. but once i found out what you kept from me, i tried my hardest to hate you but i couldn't do it." 

he scoffs. "don't make me look like the bad guy here.." 

"i trusted you with every bone in my body and you knew who i was the entire time," i started tearing up, making him form a shocked expression on his face. "you knew about my mom and you sat there pretending you didn't. do you know how much that hurt me?" 

"first of all, i didn't know who you were so i couldn't have known about your mom," he says. "and second, you spied on me and pretended to like me cause i was nothing but a mission to you." 

i wipe my tear. "what're you on about mattia? you sound stupid making all this shit up." 

"the nerve you have," he laughs in frustration. "did you or did not you plan on getting kidnapped by me so that i could take you into my home in order for you to spy on me-- yes or no?"

"no," i yell. "i absolutely did not plan on getting kidnapped-- who wants to get kidnapped on purpose? not me." 

"so you really didn't know about the panthers when we first met?" 

"how many times do i have to tell you? no," i repeat. "i barely just found out about my dad and my mom's death." 

"same as me-- i didn't know your dad was king cobra or else i would've fucking ran in the opposite direction." 

"then why would my dad tell me that you knew about it all along?" i ask. 

he sighs. "i dont know princess. my dad told me that you were just spying on us for the cobras." 

"how could i be working with the cobras if i found out after you sold me for $9 million-- which by the way i hope you are spending wisely." 

"okay that was my bad," he puts his hand up. "in my defense, i cared about money more than i cared about you at the moment." 

"yes mattia i figured," i replied plainly. "why would both our dads lie about this?" 

"i'll have to ask my dad about it but i can't say i'm surprised that he lied," he shrugs. "i'm just... glad that what we had wasn't fake." 

"it wasn't fake," i agree, "obviously my father and i are gonna have a talk but this doesn't change the facts. you're a panther, i'm a cobra. your dad is the reason my mom is dead and i have to do right by her." 

mattia frowns. "i know. but what do you want me to do? go back to hating you and plotting revenge or some shit? i cant't do that." 

"you can do it, you just don't want to," i mumble. "i don't want to either but our people come first." 

"i've always put my people first, this is the one time i want something for myself and i can't even have it. we can find a way to make it work-"

"i'm getting married," i interrupt him. "so no mattia we won't find a way to make it work." 

i could see the hurt in his eyes. "what? t-to who?"

"it doesn't matter. even if i wasn't getting married it wouldn't change anything." we sit in silence for a bit. "i need you to like punch me or something cause i can't go back empty handed. they'll think i let you go." 

"you're getting married and now you want me to punch you?"

"on the lip or something i don't know." 

he scoots closer to me and presses his forehead against mine. "don't marry him. please, i'm begging you." i tried to turn away but he cups my face to make me stay in place. "there was no point in us finding out about the truth if it meant i couldn't be with you anyway. you might as well just have let me think you played me." 

"even if we can't be together i can't stand the thought of you hating me for something i didn't do," i say quietly. "but there's nothing i can do about the marriage. i'm sorry." 

i hear him sniffle before he pulls away. "well i'm not punching you in the face." 

"i don't wanna punch myself in the face," i chuckle. "i need to make it look you i couldn't take you on." 

"you wouldn't have been able to take me on," he rolls his eyes and smiles. 

he looks so good when he's smiling. i pull him in for one last kiss. "i gotta go or they're gonna come look for me." mattia ignores me and continues kissing me. 

.