-84-

y/n's pov

"what the fuck do you think you're doing," mattia raised his voice. i haven't seen him like this since the first time we've met. "you got 3 seconds to explain to me why the hell you're getting so friendly with him."

"mattia it'll all make sense tomorrow but i just need you to trust me," i try calming him down. "just calm down, you're making a scene."

"you're not making any sense right now."

"i was just being nice cause i didn't wanna cause a scene, kinda like what you're doing right now," i said.

"why is he even talking to you," mattia scrunched his face. his confused expression turned into an angry one when he realized. "does he have a thing for you?"

"no- i don't know. no one ever knows what he's thinking," i say.

"have you seen him anywhere else before today?" he asked. "answer me."

"a couple times at public places yeah but-"

mattia placed his hand on his forehead. "oh my god why didn't you tell me?"

"there was nothing to tell, it was a harmless conversation."

"mattia," a few people called him from across the room.

"this conversation isn't over. we'll talk about it at home," he mumbled.

"you better lose that attitude before you speak to me again."

"you're asking for it at this point." he glared at me and walked away.

asshole. i looked around for vincent to make sure he saw us arguing and found him sipping his champagne in the corner with his friends, looking right at me.

i walk to a less crowded area, hoping he'll follow me so we can continue our conversation from earlier.

"things didn't look so good between you guys back there," said vincent.

"i told you things weren't the same with him anymore," i sigh, pretending to be frustrating. "which is why i can't live this life anymore. you said you could offer me more. prove it."

he stared at me for a second. "meet me at the back after the event. alone. if i see you with anyone, there might not be any violence allowed today but tomorrow's a different story."

i nodded and watch him smile as he walked away.

mattia's pov

while i was talking to mariano i couldn't really pay attention to what he was saying. i was too busy looking around for y/n to see what she was doing now.

soon, i saw vincent appear from around the corner and minutes later, so did y/n. my flat hand formed into a fist. this woman got me fucked up.

"hold up," i tell mar.

instead of talking to y/n, i went to vincent because maybe she wasn't the problem.

"what the hell do you think you're doing," i block vincent's path.

"getting more champagne?" he tried walking around me but i blocked him again.

"you know what i mean," i said strictly. "if i see you with her one more time i will put a fucking bullet in your skull. stay away from her."

"i'd love to see you try," vincent whispered. "if it weren't for tonight, you know damn well you couldn't get within 10 feet of me."

"you wanna bet?" i step closer to him.

vincent let out a soft laugh. "don't you have bigger problems than arguing with me tonight? like focusing on being engaged to only one girl?"

i know y/n didn't tell him that. what is up with her? "what else did she tell you?" i ask calmly.

"nothing really," he shrugs. "but from what i saw tonight, you're only pushing her further and further away. don't you think being gone for a year with another girl has done enough?"

he was right. i'm only causing more problems, problems we don't need. "don't think you know anything about us or what we've been through."

"all i know is that if you keep it up, you'll be pushing her right towards me," he smirks.

i raise my eyebrow. "crushing on someone else's fiancé is a little embarrassing don't you think?"

"which fiancé?" he tilts his head.

"the one i'm going home to at the end of the day," i answer. "so you know what, keep it up. you'll never have her."

"pomegranate."

"what?" i ask.

"that's the chapstick she uses." he starts walking away. "kinda tasty."

my face drops. this was the last thing i expected. i clench my jaw and storm away to look for her.

y/n's pov

"did you talk to him yet?" hector asked me.

"act natural," i say smiling. "prophets could be watching."

hector smiled back. "so what'd he say?"

"i just said to meet him out in the back later," i answer. "mattia's pissed at me though."

"what makes you think that?"

"y/n," i heard mattia yell.

"that," i point to him. "wish me luck."

hector widened his eyes as mattia approached and walked away, leaving us alone.

"when were you gonna tell me you kissed him?" said mattia.

fuck. "okay first, i didn't kiss him, he kissed me. and second, i didn't tell you cause i know you'd freak out and try to go after him, getting yourself killed in the process."

"and you just had to mention that i was engaged to another girl in france? why are you telling him all this shit?" he asked.

"i need you to trust me," i say.

"you're not making that very easy right now." he took a deep breath and walked away. i frown at the sight of him leaving.

a couple hours later...

the night was going to end soon, so i had to slip away without anyone seeing me. luckily hector was distracting all of our friend so it was easier on my part.

i exited from the back of the building and looked around for vincent.

then multiple footsteps appeared from behind me.

"you here for vincent?" the man asked.

"yeah," i answer. "where is he?"

"already on his way back to the warehouse."

"i thought he told me to meet him here," i reply.

"he did. he just didn't trust that you'd come alone so he sent us," the man answered. "check her for trackers."

a female soldier walked up to me and started patting me down. "she's clear."

"good. come on," the man walked to a car. "he's expecting you."

.